Guinea Fowl vs Sapphire Gems?

The Gift of Man

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
We have around 20 or so chickens, and 2 Guinea Fowl named Zee and Ghost. We also have four Sapphire Gem birds. Curly and Jewell are more silver and flat colored, however the other two, Blue and Beta, are much more blue and I suppose, rich in color.

For SOME unexplainable reason, the Guinea Fowl hate these two in particular.

I've seen no actions from the Gems any different than any other bird, but Ghost and Zee will go out of their way to plow THROUGH a flock of chickens just to jab at either Blue or Beta like it's a game. It's literally like bird racism. ONLY the Sapphires they go after. (They have occasionally went after Curly, and also used to go after our Polish Crested, but got tired of it apparently.)

Jewell is the oldest and largest, probably why they don't bother, however she did have a bleeding wing last week of no apparent cause.

Any particular reason why my Guinea Fowl are Racist against Sapphire Gems?

Attachments

• IMG_20231219_084549019.jpg
    IMG_20231219_084549019.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20231219_084536066.jpg
    IMG_20231219_084536066.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 2
They are Guinea Fowl - answer enough. I've never been able to figure out their pea brains and some of their antics.

Either something happened with the gems you didn't see (like somebody trying to take the guineas favorite roosting spot) or the guineas enjoy they way the gems react to the bullying.

Guineas hold grudges and they have a weird sense of entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom