Guinea Fowl with both legs not working properly :(

LavanderSky

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
I have a 15 week Guinea Fowl that has two legs that just don't work. She was like this as a keet and she was just fine when she was in the brooder/indoors and everyone was less rambunctious. She has been outside in the coop and pen for about a month now and she typically lays down under a bush in the pen and hangs out there and I place a bowl and water there for her. She seems to enjoy watching the others play and does not seem to be in pain - she eats, sand bathes and its been all good until recently.

Now that the rest of the flock is 16 weeks old, they are developing their pecking order and a lot more active than they were before. She gets trampled on and the other birds steal her food. One of my other females occasionally picks on her too. I've read in many of the other threads that it can be inhumane and poor quality of life to keep a bird alive with little or no use of both legs. I can't stand the thought of putting her down as she eats and drinks, happily watches the birds and bees but is starting to get bullied and is not able to eat and rest as much with the flock being so active.

If I separate her, she gets quite upset but will eat and drink during that time. She is getting bigger and she is now struggling even more to balance on the one leg that was about 50% functional is down to <30%, the other leg does not work at all. When she does try to walk, she falls on her face or will use her wings to hold herself up. Do I keep her going until she fades on her own or is this poor quality of life and humanely euthanize her?

Please advise. Any feedback would be helpful.

I don't think she's worth keeping if she has a preexisting problem inhibiting her from walking. It's most likely either an injury at hatch, or a genetic problem.

Back
Top Bottom