Guinea Hatch-along!

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello fellow guineafowl peeps! Were starting to hatch out guineas, finally!:clap:wee
We have three lavender pied already, with a few more to come!
I have 40 eggs in the incubator set to hatch late May, and will be updating with pics, etc when they hatch.

Is anyone a guru about color genetics? My last picture is of my second lavender male and our violet female. Wondering, what colors do we think theyll hatch!
Ive read up on color genetics, and ive found info on ALL color combos....except any form of blue (lavender) paired with anything purple...:barnie:idunno
Sooo, just curious what we think?
I know my other lavender male x white female will keep giving me the beautiful lavender pied.
My other breeding pair is two pearl grays, which of course will give me many more pearl gray! Thankfully i happen to love the pearl gray coloring too :woot

Anywho, enjoy! :frow

Cheers,
M:bun
pied gn.jpg
pied gn 2.jpg
lav n white gn.jpg
gn.jpg

So eggciting! :wee I've always wanted guineas, but I'm afraid they will be too loud for us.

@cherrynberry @LadiesAndJane @The Moonshiner @ColtHandorf and @NatJ are great with color genetics in chickens (I believe... forgive me if I tagged you and you don't know much about genetics). Maybe one of them can help with guinea genetics?
Guinea genetics are not the same as chicken genetics. For one thing there is no guinea color calculator that is accurate. The other problem is that there is insufficient study that has been done on guinea color genetics.

So eggciting! :wee I've always wanted guineas, but I'm afraid they will be too loud for us.

@cherrynberry @LadiesAndJane @The Moonshiner @ColtHandorf and @NatJ are great with color genetics in chickens (I believe... forgive me if I tagged you and you don't know much about genetics). Maybe one of them can help with guinea genetics?
Yeah none of us are going to be any help. lol @R2elk is good with genetics. @Mixed flock enthusiast has some knowledge in identifying colors based on keet down. I'd check in the guinea section for more people that could help you answer any of your questions.

Guinea genetics are not the same as chicken genetics. For one thing there is no guinea color calculator that is accurate. The other problem is that there is insufficient study that has been done on guinea color genetics.
Yeah none of us are going to be any help. lol @R2elk is good with genetics. @Mixed flock enthusiast has some knowledge in identifying colors based on keet down. I'd check in the guinea section for more people that could help you answer any of your questions.
Thanks.
Thought maybe some of you would be familiar with guinea genetics.

You'll get all pearled greys. They'll be split to lavender and only carry one pearling gene.
That could change if there's any hidden genes like the non lavender one carrying lavender.
That is making the assumption that the Violet carries the Gray color gene. I am not convinced that Violets carry the Gray color gene which is a dominant gene and only needs one copy to be expressed.

I have produced Violets from my flock that does not have any copies of the gray color gene.

Lavenders are the blue color gene with at least one full dotting gene. Violets do not have either a full dotting or a partial dotting gene. It is possible that the Lavender could only have one full dotting gene along with a partial dotting gene or a no dotting gene.

It is possible that the Violet could have a recessive blue gene but what other color genes that the Violet has have not been proven to my satisfaction.

There are too many unknowns for me to try to predict what the offspring of a Lavender and Violet mating would be..

That is making the assumption that the Violet carries the Gray color gene. I am not convinced that Violets carry the Gray color gene which is a dominant gene and only needs one copy to be expressed.

I have produced Violets from my flock that does not have any copies of the gray color gene.

Lavenders are the blue color gene with at least one full dotting gene. Violets do not have either a full dotting or a partial dotting gene. It is possible that the Lavender could only have one full dotting gene along with a partial dotting gene or a no dotting gene.

It is possible that the Violet could have a recessive blue gene but what other color genes that the Violet has have not been proven to my satisfaction.

There are too many unknowns for me to try to predict what the offspring of a Lavender and Violet mating would be..
(im no expert whatsoever) but this is actually what i was thinking, as well (in a much less technical aspect) :) Ill have to update this post in my hatch-along with what hatches out of my violets eggs :fl:thumbsup

Hello fellow guineafowl peeps! Were starting to hatch out guineas, finally!:clap:wee
We have three lavender pied already, with a few more to come!
I have 40 eggs in the incubator set to hatch late May, and will be updating with pics, etc when they hatch.

Is anyone a guru about color genetics? My last picture is of my second lavender male and our violet female. Wondering, what colors do we think theyll hatch!
Ive read up on color genetics, and ive found info on ALL color combos....except any form of blue (lavender) paired with anything purple...:barnie:idunno
Sooo, just curious what we think?
I know my other lavender male x white female will keep giving me the beautiful lavender pied.
My other breeding pair is two pearl grays, which of course will give me many more pearl gray! Thankfully i happen to love the pearl gray coloring too :woot

Anywho, enjoy! :frow

Cheers,
M:bun
View attachment 3091944View attachment 3091945View attachment 3091946View attachment 3091948
Cute babies! I wish I could join the hatchalong but my guineas are pretty unhappy about being locked up due to HPAI and so aren’t laying well right now. As for your Lavender x Royal Purple cross, it depends on what recessive genes are present, as is also the case for your Pearl greys. I’ve been following the terminology and test breedings from Dana Manchester’s Facebook groups and I think they would say that the lavender is homozygous for blue and either het or homozygous for fully dotted or pearled. The RP would be homozygous or heterozygous for Grey and homozygous for semi-dotted. So, if there were no recessive genes hiding, then the keets would be heterozygous for one Grey and one Blue, which would give a Grey phenotype. For the dotting, you would also be heterozygous for semipearled, which would give a fully pearled phenotype. So then your keets would present as wild type (Pearl Grey) but be split to lavender and semipearled. However, any recessive genes would change that calculation.

Back
Top Bottom