Guinea Help ASAP

Louieandthecrew

I am actually a female!
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
God placed me in this world
Hey all,
We are having some Guinea problems. My Guinea is NOT fond of our new chicks but she loves the adult chickens. We'd really like to keep her, but we know that we'd rather keep our thirteen chicks that cost us over fifty dollars than our free Guinea that we found on the road, BUT we would really like to keep her if possible. We have some friends that are willing to keep her if they have something for her to stay in. We have an old dog crate with some hay in it that she could live in but she would need more room than that. Could we just surround the crate with some chicken wire and cover it and get away with it, or is there more we need to know? Any other ideas for supplies and design would be great! Also, some pictures could be helpful.
Thank you!
Louieandthecrew

Anyone? Pleaaaase? If I don't know now I'll just have to let her run away
he.gif

Is your guinea kept in with your chickens?

We have 4 guineas, and they pick on our chickens every now and again, sometimes rather fiercely (pulling feathers), but otherwise, they're not too bad. However, ours aren't kept with our chickens; they live free-range 100% of the time (except occasionally in winter). They take care of themselves very well.

they really don't need much shelter; ours sleep in the trees

hope this helps!

Last edited:
We were not able to keep our guineas and chickens together either, due to guinea aggression and roughness with the chickens. In my limited experience with guineas, I have learned that they need other guineas to be happy due to their strong flocking instinct. If other guineas aren't around, they will try to fit in with the chickens, but they just interact differently and end up hurting or scaring the chickens. Maybe someone who already has guineas will accept the bird into their flock? Not sure how long a lone guinea would survive if you just let it go. Mine are good foragers this time of year, but would be susceptible to predators if not locked up at night. What area do you live in? Good luck!

Quote:
Well, I DO know a family with Guineas that may be able to take her in for a while and that would be a great idea, but I'll have to look into that.

I've had my chicks in the coop no over half a week, but the adul chickens have been in there with her for as long as we've had her.

Back
Top Bottom