Guinea Picked on or Sick

ILuvsChicks

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
Missouri
I have seven guineas grown but not yet laying. I've noticed just lately one not moving around much any more. I was able to go up and pet her/him. At other times it seems to move around just fine. I've also noticed at feeding times one chasing it off. I'm thinking it may be worms. Probably need to worm them all any way even if that's not the problem. What type of wormer should I use? I did add some Diatomaceous Earth to their water. Would that be enough?

I always add DE to their food as an internal parasite preventative. I would worm the guineas just to be sure though. I use Wazine but there are other brands. Whichever one your feed store carries should work. It would be best to worm them before they start laying as you'll have to discard eggs during and 2 weeks after the treatment. Put more feeders around so that the Guineas at the bottom of the pecking order may eat without being chased off.
What other symptoms is your guinea showing?

I think He is sick. I now think also all seven are males. I already had one other Guinea. She sounds different from the rest. She just started laying eggs a couple of months ago. She was raise from a keet with other baby chickens. She thinks she is a chicken. She stays with the chickens not the other guineas. Their run is side by side. I moved the sick one today over to the chicken side. He just stayed by the fence close to his buddies. At times he will put his head under his wing. Almost looks like he has no head. I actually thought before reading more about guinea, that the female might sound different because she never had heard another guinea and didn't know how she was supposed to sound. I know, "Dumb". At times when I try to catch the sick one he comes to life and runs. Other times I can pet him and just pick him up.

Make sure he drinks water with vitamins and electrolytes in it. You can get a mix from the feed store. Also the feed store should have lots of antibiotics for poultry. I would suggest medicating him. Sulmet is a good brand and so is Safeguard. Do you think he has a respiratory infection, cocci, worms, corzya? Is he only showing lethargic symptoms?

Do you think he has a respiratory infection, cocci, worms, corzya? Is he only showing lethargic symptoms?
You got me there. I don't know anything about any of those. He does still seem to be eating good. Threw out some dry dog food for small dogs and he went for that.

Quote:
Do you think he has a respiratory infection, cocci, worms, corzya? Is he only showing lethargic symptoms?
Looked them up. There's no wheezing or breathing problems. No nasal discharge. So I guess he is only showing lethargic symptoms.

Made it into town today. Picked up Sav-A-Chick electrolyte and vitamin supplement. Also got the Sulmet antibacterial drinking water solution and also the Wazine dewormer. Treating the whole flock Guineas, Chickens and Peafowl. I'm sure it will do them all good. I'll keep a post on how well it works. Thanks for all the info.

Didn't want to say any thing to soon, But it looked liked 4 hours after adding the medications the sick guinea was doing better. Today I can't tell with one was sick. It's like a miracle.. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom