Guinea question?

jessupfamily

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
SW Indiana
At what age do guineas start making their really loud noises? We've always just had adults and have never had babies. We are curious around what age they start their song (which we love!)? What age is ok for letting them out to free range? And has anyone ever let a chicken mama raise them? Thanks!
Blessings,
Amy J.

I'm trying to think, and I just can't remember. We raised a bunch last year...I think they were at least a couple of months old when they started to make their noises.

I like the sound too, except the one we have that stands under the bird feeder right outside the open kitchen window and hollers at the goldfinches to toss down more millet.

chickens do a great job raising young guineas. i usually set a couple chicken eggs under her timed to hatch the same day as the guineas. i'm pretty sure a guinea is 28 days. as far as when they get noisy, you'll know it when that day comes.

If I remember right. My started their diff calls around 6 to 8 weeks... For free roaming they need to be all feathered. I let mine roam around 4 or 5 months old.

Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That would be great! We love guineas and their noises, but they are not calm! They will not let you hold or pet them, they always run! I wondered if a chicken mama, who is very tame and brings her babies to us, raised them that it would cause them to be friendlier.

Back
Top Bottom