Guinea questions

Nurfsmom

Songster
Mar 6, 2022
MS Gulf Coast
In my "Surprise" box I got from Cackle Hatchery, I got 5 guinea keets. From what I understand, they mate for life. My problem is, I think I only have 1 guinea hen and the rest are males. My husband is wanting to dispatch all but the hen and 1 of the males and I feel they should be left as a group for protection. They are doing a lot of pecking on my young pullets that came in the same box. I had to separate 3 of them to be able to regrow back and tail feathers. I don't believe it's just the guineas doing the pecking. What do yall think? I know I need some more guinea hens, but in the meantime, should I wait til she picks a mate and then separate them or leave them as a flock? TIA Nurfsmom

In my "Surprise" box I got from Cackle Hatchery, I got 5 guinea keets. From what I understand, they mate for life. My problem is, I think I only have 1 guinea hen and the rest are males. My husband is wanting to dispatch all but the hen and 1 of the males and I feel they should be left as a group for protection. They are doing a lot of pecking on my young pullets that came in the same box. I had to separate 3 of them to be able to regrow back and tail feathers. I don't believe it's just the guineas doing the pecking. What do yall think? I know I need some more guinea hens, but in the meantime, should I wait til she picks a mate and then separate them or leave them as a flock? TIA Nurfsmom
They will be fine together even if there are 4 males and one hen. Guineas can give the appearance of mating for life but it is not always true. Some will change partners each year. Some change partners between mating/laying season and the off season.

At 9 years old, my flock has changed mates multiple times per year for most of them. Only a few of them are still in the same pairing as they started with.

Unlike chickens, a group of males will protect a lone hen with only the dominant male acting as her breeding partner.

For the health of your chickens, I highly recommend separating the guineas from the chickens. When breeding season starts, the guineas will revert to their instincts. Their behavior is different than any other poultry. They will cause great stress to your chickens.

I have two sets if guineas. The first set is older and was about a week old when I got them. They live with the chickens but definitely pick on the younger chicken. My second set of guineas was a few days old and raised from the get go with another batch of chickens and they're perfect little "chickens" or at least they think they're chickens, lol. None if mine are full grown yet so I'm just watching to see if we need to separate. The older group is about to go out into the pasture if they continue to pick.
This is normal. When the first breeding season starts is when your guineas will become terrorists to your chickens. Because they were raised with chickens they will treat the chickens the same as they treat each other. The chickens will not understand the racing and chasing along with the attacks from behind that include feather pulling and breaking. The chickens do not know how to show submission like the guineas do.

Hello! You'll need to house them separately from the chickens, also I agree you should get more of them. Double or triple your flock. Do you have alot of space to free range?

Leave them as a flock and don't worry. They work it out. When I first got guineas I had 7 and they harrassed my chickens. I was told I needed more and it would take care of the problem. I didn't really believe it. I now have 27 and they live totally at peace with chickens and geese in the same coop. The more you have the better they function as a flock. If you let them free range they separate and do their own thing in the summer but flock up for the winter.

This is normal. When the first breeding season starts is when your guineas will become terrorists to your chickens. Because they were raised with chickens they will treat the chickens the same as they treat each other. The chickens will not understand the racing and chasing along with the attacks from behind that include feather pulling and breaking. The chickens do not know how to show submission like the guineas do.
That's good to know! We already were talking about separating them out, but since everyone will be ranged in the day I think just giving them a separate sleeping space is all we can do. We have 8.5 acres so hopefully it's enough room that the chickens aren't terrorized.

Back
Top Bottom