Guinea talk.

Hi all its been since Nov when I rescued my two guineas. Sonny and Cher now are in charge of the yard. They are some characters but most of my feathered friends are. Sonny is the friendlier one but they both are always curious about what I'm doing when I'm in the yard and follow me around. I really do enjoy them in them and glad i was given the opportunity to rescue them or I would have never known how great they are. They stay in my fenced in yard for the most part, every now and then I will look out and notice that they have went over the fence cause our neighbors don't cut the grass in the back side of their yard and they like going over there to pick. I go out and call them and fuss at them and they usually fly back over and then fuss at me.
Will the guineas lay their eggs in with the chickens or are they more prone to lay them in the yard somewhere like my ducks?

I don't have vast experience but so far, ratio doesn't look to be a problem. Unlike with chickens, guinea males don't fight.  They might give chase a little bit, but they don't fight, and it looks to me like everyone chases everyone a little-- not to the point of chasing them into the road. It's not like in chickens and I think some ducks (mallards mate for life, other ducks don't), where an alpha-type male wants a harem and will fight to have it.  They just don't do that.  The males and females are cooperative on setting their nests and any unmated birds are part of the flock.  As it looks to me. Others with more experience may have more to say.  I'll be back later tonight for more conversation.

I will say, it's my knowledge of how ducks can be that makes me not want to keep them again (had a pet pair as a teenager). It freaks me out enough how the chickens are..  I love how the guineas all coexist, it's heartening.
I have had mine fight before. They sit as far apart as they can while still being able to reach each other. Then they take turns throwing their heads forward, really fast. They don't really hit each other much, but it looks kind of terrifying. Sorry this isn't the best explanation... It's hard to describe. Has anyone else seen this? It might have been because they were still developing their pecking order.

I have had mine fight before. They sit as far apart as they can while still being able to reach each other. Then they take turns throwing their heads forward, really fast. They don't really hit each other much, but it looks kind of terrifying. Sorry this isn't the best explanation... It's hard to describe. Has anyone else seen this? It might have been because they were still developing their pecking order.

I have watched guinea males have vicious fights. After the fights are over, their heads look terrible from all the pecks that drew blood. The loser typically is deeply depressed for weeks. If it is the alpha male that loses the fight all of the other males will take their turns picking on him which can sometimes lead to death from all the abuse and depression.

I know exactly what your talking about. I've seen a few of my juvenile guineas do this, although I've never actually seen them hit each other. It seems to be more of a threat, like their saying "don't get too close to my spot or you'll be sorry!" All the ones that are getting the pecking aimed at them seem to move away quickly so no fights have ever broken out, but I think your right in that it is a way to establish their pecking order and see who will be the dominant ones in the flock.

I have watched guinea males have vicious fights.  After the fights are over, their heads look terrible from all the pecks that drew blood.  The loser typically is deeply depressed for weeks.  If it is the alpha male that loses the fight all of the other males will take their turns picking on him which can sometimes lead to death from all the abuse and depression.

That is awful! I've never had that happen but I have a small flock with only a few males, and mostly females. I have one older dominant male that everyone seems to respect and no one challenges, so have not had any problems in the 4 years I've had them. Hopefully, my luck will hold out! :fl

Hi all its been since Nov when I rescued my two guineas. Sonny and Cher now are in charge of the yard. They are some characters but most of my feathered friends are. Sonny is the friendlier one but they both are always curious about what I'm doing when I'm in the yard and follow me around. I really do enjoy them in them and glad i was given the opportunity to rescue them or I would have never known how great they are. They stay in my fenced in yard for the most part, every now and then I will look out and notice that they have went over the fence cause our neighbors don't cut the grass in the back side of their yard and they like going over there to pick. I go out and call them and fuss at them and they usually fly back over and then fuss at me.
Will the guineas lay their eggs in with the chickens or are they more prone to lay them in the yard somewhere like my ducks?

The majority of my guinea hens lay their nest in the coop (in wheelbarrows filled with straw) but I always have a few every year that want to lay a nest outside in the tall grass somewhere and if I don't hunt them down, then a predator will usually get them before they hatch their eggs. They are very good at hiding them too! I've found them all kinds of places.....in a ditch down the road, in soybean fields, in the bottom of an old burn barrel, and I even found one in my crop of butternut squash.
If they lay them outside, be prepared for a good hunt and good luck! :barnie

The majority of my guinea hens lay their nest in the coop (in wheelbarrows filled with straw) but I always have a few every year that want to lay a nest outside in the tall grass somewhere and if I don't hunt them down, then a predator will usually get them before they hatch their eggs. They are very good at hiding them too! I've found them all kinds of places.....in a ditch down the road, in soybean fields, in the bottom of an old burn barrel, and I even found one in my crop of butternut squash.
If they lay them outside, be prepared for a good hunt and good luck!
barnie.gif

I always appreciate your ideas on encouraging the hens to lay where it is safe. Fingers crossed that mine will think their straw bale caves are the best place to go broody, but I also have Plan B and C in the works and you know they will be needed!

Yea i had 9 guineas and my neighbors dog came over and killed 1. they were obviously spooked and they stayed home for about 2 days before leaving my property. I've come to notice that the more you're around them and feed them the more tame they become. i had them with my peacocks for about a week and i came home the other day and they were attacking my peacocks. i believe it was because its mating season and the males are becoming more aggressive, but I'm not 100% sure and suggestions?

My guineas are currently 37 weeks old, will they start laying this spring i figured they would've started laying by now but they haven't. i have at least 4 or 5 females and like 2 or 3 males. Tips? thx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom