Guinea talk.

Lots of new things happening here this week!

We found a guinea egg in the coop yesterday. Not in a nesting box of course, but under the roosts. It may have been an accident or Jenny may be using it for her eggs. We let it stay and plan to check for more today. Gertrude and Gary still go off in the woods to their nest very day, but don't stay long.

We caught a water snake trying to get eggs in the remote nest in my work shop. I grabbed it up and rehomed it to the woods. If it comes back again, I'll have to dispose of it some less humane way. The cottonmouth we found in the coop a couple weeks ago was not so lucky.

Our little OEGB, Henrietta, has layed 3 eggs in the last 2 weeks! She hadn't layed in over a year and I thought she had gotten too old to produce anymore. She usually has gone broody by this time each year, so we are expecting her to start sitting soon. She will be the keets broody mom when the time comes. I'm not disturbing Gertrude's nest until then.

We had a RIR go broody on Monday, so we placed 9 eggs under her. Every egg we hatched last year (all 6) turned out to be roosters, so we are hoping for better luck this season.

dmontgomery if I saw a snake in the coop that would be the end of me. I would probably have a heart attack.
big_smile.png
Good luck with your hatching and may they all be hens.

Mary Jane has laid 14 eggs so far and is setting on them off and on during the day. This evening when I went to turn the light off she was in the nesting box setting on the eggs. Spiderman was on the table by himself. He was whining and crying I had to give him a big hug and petted him and he finally laid down. If she goes broody fulltime I don't know what Spiderman is going to do with himself. I felt so sorry for him.

So I noticed today that my guinea hen has split her horn on her head down the middle. Have any of you experienced this? Should I do something to fix it or just let it bed. It isn't bleeding at all but looks like it did at some point

So I noticed today that my guinea hen has split her horn on her head down the middle. Have any of you experienced this? Should I do something to fix it or just let it bed. It isn't bleeding at all but looks like it did at some point
I wish I could help you with this but I've never heard of a guinea with this before. I don't know if it will grow back togeather or not. I hope someone else can help you. I would put some neosporin without the pain relief on it. Good luck I hope she gets better.

Lots of new things happening here this week!

We found a guinea egg in the coop yesterday. Not in a nesting box of course, but under the roosts. It may have been an accident or Jenny may be using it for her eggs. We let it stay and plan to check for more today. Gertrude and Gary still go off in the woods to their nest very day, but don't stay long.

We caught a water snake trying to get eggs in the remote nest in my work shop. I grabbed it up and rehomed it to the woods. If it comes back again, I'll have to dispose of it some less humane way. The cottonmouth we found in the coop a couple weeks ago was not so lucky.

Our little OEGB, Henrietta, has layed 3 eggs in the last 2 weeks! She hadn't layed in over a year and I thought she had gotten too old to produce anymore. She usually has gone broody by this time each year, so we are expecting her to start sitting soon. She will be the keets broody mom when the time comes. I'm not disturbing Gertrude's nest until then.

We had a RIR go broody on Monday, so we placed 9 eggs under her. Every egg we hatched last year (all 6) turned out to be roosters, so we are hoping for better luck this season.

Just get your dogs to go and collect those eggs! In fact, have them follow the guineas around and pick up after them. Crazy guineas - that's what they like to do and then all of a sudden, they'll start laying in one spot and go broody on you. It sounds like you've already got a broody hen to help out with hatching. We can't wait to see pics of those little keets running around. I'm sure you get your share of snakes there - lucky you! We'll have some garter snakes a bit later when it warms up. Still in the 50's here. I watched the flock chase after a big woodchuck the other day. They were relentless. I don't think he knew what he was in for and they kept him running for a while. I have seen them do that to a skunk, but this is the first I've seen them run after a woodchuck. One more thing to add to the list of reasons why I have guineas.

Back
Top Bottom