Guinea talk.

We have looked the injured bird over many times and can't see anything wrong or broken, but the way you describe your bird walking is just like ours does. In case it's a vitamin deficiency, I just gave a concentrated water bottle with poultry nutri-drench in it, just for the sick-o.
It is my understanding that while nutri drench is a good thing, it does not contain the necessary amount of the B vitamins (niacin and thiamine) that can be the problem. This is why using a vitamin B complex capsule is recommended.

IMG_1962.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 2
Here is her foot it's the right foot. Next I will try to upload video...

Your right....it's definitely swollen, but it's hard to tell from the pictures as to what the problem is. I would catch her so you can inspect her foot better. If she has an infection and it's left untreated, it will just continue to get worse. I don't know that much about foot problems or infections in poultry, but I wonder if it's bumblefoot? Here are some articles in it so you can compare what you find with info and pictures posted on BYC:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?query=bumblefoot&tab=620

Hopefully someone who knows more can provide info, ideas, and advice!

It is my understanding that while nutri drench is a good thing, it does not contain the necessary amount of the B vitamins (niacin and thiamine) that can be the problem. This is why using a vitamin B complex capsule is recommended.
OK - I will have to buy some. I had the nutri-drench on hand for my chickens, and thought it might be a good thing to try right now. At least, I didn't think it would hurt anything :)

OK - I will have to buy some. I had the nutri-drench on hand for my chickens, and thought it might be a good thing to try right now. At least, I didn't think it would hurt anything :)
Giving the nutri-drench is a good thing and it won't hurt. The one thing that sunk in is that the water has to be made fresh daily because the vitamins can break down quickly.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Has anyone ever treated bumblefoot on a guinea hen??? All the treatments suggest surgery which can take 45-60 min...even if I can catch her there ain't no way she's going to submit to this and if she would I am afraid the stress would be way too much on her. I'm not even sure that's what she has.

Has anyone ever treated bumblefoot on a guinea hen??? All the treatments suggest surgery which can take 45-60 min...even if I can catch her there ain't no way she's going to submit to this and if she would I am afraid the stress would be way too much on her. I'm not even sure that's what she has.
You'd be surprised how resilient guineas can be! If you can catch your guinea, wrap her firmly in a towel or blanket, and cover her eyes/head, she would probably tolerate any treatment needed just fine. I've had to catch a few of my wilder guineas to treat them for various things. Once they were restrained and couldn't see what was going on, they settled down just fine. I would start by catching the guinea to see if that's what your dealing with, as it may be something entirely different. As far as catching the guinea, if you can do it after dark, you may be more successful and cause less stress overall. (Since they can not see well in the dark, it will probably involve less chasing/stress.) If you catch her, post some pictures and maybe someone can help identify the problem.

You'd be surprised how resilient guineas can be! If you can catch your guinea, wrap her firmly in a towel or blanket, and cover her eyes/head, she would probably tolerate any treatment needed just fine. I've had to catch a few of my wilder guineas to treat them for various things. Once they were restrained and couldn't see what was going on, they settled down just fine. I would start by catching the guinea to see if that's what your dealing with, as it may be something entirely different. As far as catching the guinea, if you can do it after dark, you may be more successful and cause less stress overall. (Since they can not see well in the dark, it will probably involve less chasing/stress.) If you catch her, post some pictures and maybe someone can help identify the problem.

thank you! I will try this on Friday, if she isn't any better. She was moving around better today.

Back
Top Bottom