Guinea talk.

I have my keets with keets, and chickens. My adult guineas are with everyone, turkeys, chickens, and ducks. So far everyone has gotten along nicely but there are days where someone has a bad feather up their bum and wants to pick fights.

And yes they can imprint I have one thats imprinted on my fiance and I, she will follow us around but we started to gently push her away and make her be with the other keets for her safety and well being.

JoJo is in 7th Heaven! He once was a loner, but now he has his harem. Okay now I've got to figure out how to get the video to post. Guess I've got to use my computer and not the phone!

My pearl gray crossed with purple gave me a 50/50 clutch, pearls and purples. This year anyways, my genetics and hatch rate were spot on for my first year.
Next year I am crossing my powder pied girls with my lavender boy, and my powder pied boy with a pearl jumbo.

Good to know... Although I have an interest in the genetics, I never spent too much time investigating all the nuances, because I only had pearls. Now that I have pearls, whites, pieds, lavenders and royal purples (also pied royal purples), I'll have to pay more attention!

@guineapeeps - I have 12 lavs at the moment, but have rehomed 3 of the males. That will leave me with 8 female lavs and 1 male lav. I started with 20 keets and have been working on rehoming most of the males. They are supposed to be jumbos, but they're not as large as my French jumbos last year, in fact I don't really notice too much of a size difference, and believe me, they can FLY - unlike my French jumbos which only hopped and glided ... makes me wonder.... the guinea math formula is to have enough to lose 7 in the fall and 7 in the spring to predators and still have enough to sustain the flock late spring / early summer. So far, so good - they are ALL still with me. I may have to auction some off before the snow flies if I keep up this streak of good luck! :yesss:

I am sure you do miss your flock... :hugs I miss your postings with photos, but am glad that you continue to be a part of this thread. I hope your former birds are all doing well... do you still have an earworm with the buckwheat call going in your head? I swear I can hear it when there aren't any guineas. Hopefully, you'll be able to reestablish your flock before too much more time passes....

We were thinking of you today and of your beautiful round barn! We were out taking barn photos and we now have to investigate to see if there are any round barns in our county.

Happy Sunday, everyone! :wee

@guineapeeps - I have 12 lavs at the moment, but have rehomed 3 of the males. That will leave me with 8 female lavs and 1 male lav. I started with 20 keets and have been working on rehoming most of the males. They are supposed to be jumbos, but they're not as large as my French jumbos last year, in fact I don't really notice too much of a size difference, and believe me, they can FLY - unlike my French jumbos which only hopped and glided ... makes me wonder.... the guinea math formula is to have enough to lose 7 in the fall and 7 in the spring to predators and still have enough to sustain the flock late spring / early summer. So far, so good - they are ALL still with me. I may have to auction some off before the snow flies if I keep up this streak of good luck! :yesss:

I am sure you do miss your flock... :hugs I miss your postings with photos, but am glad that you continue to be a part of this thread. I hope your former birds are all doing well... do you still have an earworm with the buckwheat call going in your head? I swear I can hear it when there aren't any guineas. Hopefully, you'll be able to reestablish your flock before too much more time passes....

We were thinking of you today and of your beautiful round barn! We were out taking barn photos and we now have to investigate to see if there are any round barns in our county.

Happy Sunday, everyone! :wee

I pestered the family that took my guineas for a bit after I rehomed them. While they were locked up to learn where their new home was, she told me she picked them fresh grass to eat and caught them bugs so I know they are in good hands! I was especially worried about my little crippled one, PIp, but I know they are well taken care of so feel a lot better about it!

I know there are quite a few round barns throughout the midwestern states, but not sure about your area. A lot of the ones in Iowa have fallen into disrepair, which is sad, because the architecture is really amazing! Ours was built in 1917 (house was built in 1931) by the father of the lady that sold us the house. She was born in the house and we were only the 2nd owners. I loved the story and the history of the house and I stay in touch with her even though we sold it. We had someone come and take pictures for an article while we lived there. Here is a link to her blog:

https://nanweber.blogspot.ca/2014/10/the-b-j-holtkamp-round-barn.html

If you love barns and can locate some in your area, you should check them out...most of them are truly amazing!

I hope your good luck holds out and you will continue to be predator free!

Back
Top Bottom