Guinea talk.

Thanks @GlennLee, @guinealeghorn, and @guineapeeps. She went peacefully being held by James and I off an on. She was one we hatched and found out today it was Howlee which was the real sad part. Everyone else seems fine, talking running and testing their wing strength. I am seeing a few male Jumbos mach fighting I break it up but can't help but laugh at them as they try to figure out who is the best when the girls break them up with me.

The other birds are doing good too, it was very windy today kept knocking over my temp extended wall so I tied it to a truck tire and pulled it against the wind so far it worked. Charlie got some good lift this morning rushing out of the barn even with being clipped he flew from the barn to the well pump. Even the Geese wanted to try and fly but we had to cut their wings as the flew down to the road one day.

LeeAnn turned out to be just a Lee silly thing breaks up fights but sure enough can handle himself if someone ruffles his feathers or gets to close to me or James. Still follows us around, if I am in the kiddy pin he will tug at my pants leg from behind to let me know he is there. Out of all of my Guineas he is the most willing to be handled, pet and perch on your arm, shoulder or leg. Such a difference when you have one on one as they grow up.

Hope everyone is doing well. Figured I would check in to see how everything is doing. I didn’t think that when I made this thread it would work out but I see now that it just took off. Going to try and stay in touch. -clay

I don't mean to disrupt the "Flow" here, but I have a few questions that I'd appreciate some help with, so I decided to pick on a few of ya to help guide a future guinea owner in the right direction. This next year I plan on ordering about 15 keets and raise them up, we have 20acres here and perfect guinea territory, but the biggest concern is coons and GHOs, there are many in the vacinity. When I was young we had guineas and it was my job to watch for where their nests were so Mom could collect eggs...so I am not totally unfamiliar with them, but have never raised them and learned much about maintaining and keeping them. So, to brood 15-20 keets how big of a brooder would I need to construct, how deep, and how long would it be before they would be ready to be placed in an outside coop/pen area?
I have read that it is best to keep them penned for 8-10wks to get them acclimated to their spot and to only let a few out at a time, so they will return. Does the brood out time count in that 8-10wk period, or do they need to stay there for that length of time after they are at a certain age? Ours always free ranged and roosted in trees by the house, but we lost them often to coons and owls at night....I want to attempt to have them safely housed at night and let them out during the day. This winter I will be working on the set-up, so any suggestions now would be a great help in allowing me to be ready next June to get them started. Also, which feed would be the better choice for them? I did see the high hoop house and think it would work fairly well here, I'm a bit further north of their location in southern Ms, but sure looks like a winner to me.....any thoughts?
I really don't mean to hijack the thread, but sure would appreciate the assistance....:)

My brooder was 4'x3'x3' worked for my crew until we put them outside. And the 8-10 week period is for them once they go outside. I did longer but that was my own preference.
Raising isn't hard, just like chickens they need heat for a while, bedding, roosts to play on and of course food and water. I hatched and raised up close to 30 guineas this year with some losses which is to be expected. But they are great little nuggets to have.

We kicked our out of the house when they had full feathers, and it was still warm outside. We don't have a light on them outside unless it is in the 30s or 20s at night, but right now my young flock of 18 have enough bodies in there to keep warm plus the hay bedding. My main flock has a light until 11pm and it turns off with a timer then back on at 6am. The young crew are infront of my inlaws shed with a dusk to dawn light so they have a form of light all night.

I don't mean to disrupt the "Flow" here, but I have a few questions that I'd appreciate some help with, so I decided to pick on a few of ya to help guide a future guinea owner in the right direction. This next year I plan on ordering about 15 keets and raise them up, we have 20acres here and perfect guinea territory, but the biggest concern is coons and GHOs, there are many in the vacinity. When I was young we had guineas and it was my job to watch for where their nests were so Mom could collect eggs...so I am not totally unfamiliar with them, but have never raised them and learned much about maintaining and keeping them. So, to brood 15-20 keets how big of a brooder would I need to construct, how deep, and how long would it be before they would be ready to be placed in an outside coop/pen area?
I have read that it is best to keep them penned for 8-10wks to get them acclimated to their spot and to only let a few out at a time, so they will return. Does the brood out time count in that 8-10wk period, or do they need to stay there for that length of time after they are at a certain age? Ours always free ranged and roosted in trees by the house, but we lost them often to coons and owls at night....I want to attempt to have them safely housed at night and let them out during the day. This winter I will be working on the set-up, so any suggestions now would be a great help in allowing me to be ready next June to get them started. Also, which feed would be the better choice for them? I did see the high hoop house and think it would work fairly well here, I'm a bit further north of their location in southern Ms, but sure looks like a winner to me.....any thoughts?
I really don't mean to hijack the thread, but sure would appreciate the assistance....:)
Glad you joined the thread! Your definitely not hijacking it....all are welcome!
I thought I would add one thing that may make your life easier. If you ever want to get them into the coop other than night/roosting time, you may want to condition them with a treat and some sort of call. My guineas loved white millet, so whenever I would give it to them, I’d call “chick, chick, chick”. Whenever they heard that, they knew there were treats, so they would come running even if they were a few acres away. They would follow me into the coop for it so I could lock them in if I needed to put them in early or if there was really bad weather coming. Others on here may have suggestions for other treats, but I would say my guineas favorite was a white millet mix at Walmart. I can’t remember the exact brand now but it was some sort of orange essence parakeet treat.....they went crazy for it!
Good luck! I hope you enjoy them...I know I just loved having mine!

@Dmontgomery - are your chickens still laying in your hay bale caves? I have 3-4 Rhode Island Reds that have taken over the hay bale cave for their daily laying, now that the guineas have stopped. Not too sure if I want them to continue laying there with snow coming and eventually, the guineas will be wanting it back to use. Here's what I found - just like this. I think my hens are taking egg decorating classes on the sly!

IMG_8623.JPG

Back
Top Bottom