Guinea talk.

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well! My guineas are all grown up and hilarious. I think I ended up with 4 purple boys and 1 purple girl. The two younger ones are 1 lavender boy that is pretty much alone because the girl he was raised with switched to other flock. Not sure how to get him to join the other flock so he's not alone with chickens all the time. She is a little different. Her neck has the same purple color as the royal purple ones but has way more spotting.
20180202_095704.jpg
20180202_095713.jpg

20180128_105222.jpg
20180126_095215.jpg

Well, we are saying goodbye to 6 guineas here. Twenty-seven have been way too many to deal with, especially since they have separated themselves out into two flocks. They are going to a great home with an experienced poultry person (guineas too) and will eventually be housed with his chickens.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the normal coloring was. The chicken in picture is a silver seabright. Her and her mate are the only two birds in my flock that stand up to the guineas. Hoping to get some pied and maybe chocolate this summer.

I currently have 8 guinea... Too many for my small nighttime fortknox coop. They upset the harmony, so they've been booted out into solitude, kennel confinement. I want to keep a few, but I plan to sell 4-5. Not sure if they're male or female. I know 2 are male because they we're mating my female before the Fox got her. The others are her hatches from this past summer. I only free range so, they gotta go, not fair to keep them confined. Anybody in East tn want them?

@rookhomestead I hope you are able to get them rehomed. Love the guineas, but they are my wild children. You never know what trouble they will get into. Working on getting my two flocks down to a more manageable group and hopefully, one flock. Time will tell...

@yoopergirl1211 love the silver seabright. Good for them that they stand up to the guineas!

It's been a bit warmer lately and it seems good not to have to change out frozen waterers two to three times a day. I did find that a bit of nutridrench helped to keep it from freezing as quickly and the birds were happy too.

I wanted to share a new light I bought in case it might interest you. I've been very pleased with its versatility. I got it on Amazon and it's called the DOMEZAN Portable Outdoor Emergency Light Rechargeable 165 LM Bulb for Hurricane Off-grid Home, Chicken Coop, Shed, Barn. It looks like a lightbulb and has a clip so I can clip it on the fencing inside the coop for the guineas to find their way inside. With the snow on the ground and more ambient light, they sometimes stay out too late and then don't want to enter the coop because they can't see. I can throw this on (either high or low light, also blinking) and go down later to shut them in. Then I just recharge it via it's solar panel that we mounted inside the window. Very cool! It was only $12.99 too.
61hU4PDyL7L._SL1000_.jpg

Well it took 7 months but my Guinea flock has finally started roaming. Scared me this morning when I went looking for them. Luckily they are heading out on my trails behind the house rather then out on the road. I run the dogs down the trails three times a day so normally pretty safe from other animals. My purple female left the 4 purple boys and mobed across creek to live in barn with the lone lavender boy. The female I raised him with is now with purple boys. Glad gizmo the lavender isn't alone. Anyone know what ratio of babies would be from royal purple and lavender?

Hi everyone!
We have had some good hatches this month. 12 chicken peeps, 5 ducklings and 2 more on the way. We sadly though on my birthday this sunday we are saying goodbye to some of our young laying hens, they are picking on each other and this couple wants them and they will be pasture running the rest of their lives.
The guineas are none stop buckwheating we have 15 girls, 10 boys so some boys are heading to camp one way.

Well it took 7 months but my Guinea flock has finally started roaming. Scared me this morning when I went looking for them. Luckily they are heading out on my trails behind the house rather then out on the road. I run the dogs down the trails three times a day so normally pretty safe from other animals. My purple female left the 4 purple boys and mobied across creek to live in barn with the lone lavender boy. The female I raised him with is now with purple boys. Glad gizmo the lavender isn't alone. Anyone know what ratio of babies would be from royal purple and lavender?
Theoretically you should get Pearl Gray and Lavender offspring depending on what hidden recessive genes your guineas have. In reality all the offspring are likely to be fully dotted and any color combinations would depend on just what the color genes your Royal Purple hen actually has. If as claimed, the Royal Purple actually has the dominant gray color gene, most likely all the offspring would be Pearl Grays carrying hidden recessive color and dotting genes.

Back
Top Bottom