Guinea talk.

Long time kinda no post lol. I have a lavender guinea keet that had a near death scare this afternoon. She or he over drank their water bloated their crop to the point it was suffocating itself so I took a sterile hypodermic needle and drained the crop afterwards I cleaned the area and applied blu-kote. Now they are having head tremors but are breathing just fine. When I drained the crop I had a flashlight shining through from the other side so that I could avoid any and all veins as possible, zero bleeding which I was thrilled about.
Could they be in shock or scared? I have them under a heating pad on my lap to calm them down some, as well as a buddy

We’ve only seen 1 this year, in the coop, and it was only about 4’ long. Gertrude alerted me to it when she and the keets were still locked in the first week. I got it before it did any damage.

How are things going with the new puppy?

Ok... ONLY shouldn't go in front of 4' when you're talking about a snake! Yikes! Good for Gertrude and I'm glad you were able to take care of it, before it could do any damage.

The new dog is making good adjustments - especially after being in a shelter for 9 months out of her 2 year old life. She doesn't jump up on us, or the furniture anymore, and she is walking without pulling on a leash. She's had a few peeing accidents, but I think when she has to go, she has to go. I think she's finally figured out the connection with going out to do her business. Let's hope so, otherwise it's depends time. I already purchased special glasses and a black light flashlight to look for hidden pee spots. I look like CSI examining a crime scene! Got some good disinfecting spray too to discourage repeat accidents. The things we do for love!

Hippo toy.jpg

Long time kinda no post lol. I have a lavender guinea keet that had a near death scare this afternoon. She or he over drank their water bloated their crop to the point it was suffocating itself so I took a sterile hypodermic needle and drained the crop afterwards I cleaned the area and applied blu-kote. Now they are having head tremors but are breathing just fine. When I drained the crop I had a flashlight shining through from the other side so that I could avoid any and all veins as possible, zero bleeding which I was thrilled about.
Could they be in shock or scared? I have them under a heating pad on my lap to calm them down some, as well as a buddy

I am amazed by the care you give your birds!

Hey there! Thought I would share my keet pics. We have 10 grown guineas and placed some eggs in the coop not knowing if they were fertilized. One of my fat hens hatched 4!! So cute!

Attachments

• 20180702_211628.jpg
    20180702_211628.jpg
    653 KB · Views: 11
My first guinea hatch is under way:jumpy:yesss: after rolling them eggs over 3 times a day for 25 days though I did forget a few times :oops: Three keets so far with 21 more eggs.
By the way what is a good hatch rate for guineas?

The keets are coming up on 7 weeks old in a couple more days. From a distance, it’s hard to tell them from the parents. My god they grow fast!
I think they are starting to call instead of just cheeping. While they were begging for worms on the back porch this morning, I thought I could determine at least 1 male and 1 female. Or am I just imagining it and they are still too young to tell?

The keets are coming up on 7 weeks old in a couple more days. From a distance, it’s hard to tell them from the parents. My god they grow fast!
I think they are starting to call instead of just cheeping. While they were begging for worms on the back porch this morning, I thought I could determine at least 1 male and 1 female. Or am I just imagining it and they are still too young to tell?
Some guineas start buckwheating at 6 weeks old. Yours are old enough to start hearing the hens buckwheat but both can make the male sound.

Good luck.

Ok... ONLY shouldn't go in front of 4' when you're talking about a snake! Yikes! Good for Gertrude and I'm glad you were able to take care of it, before it could do any damage.

The new dog is making good adjustments - especially after being in a shelter for 9 months out of her 2 year old life. She doesn't jump up on us, or the furniture anymore, and she is walking without pulling on a leash. She's had a few peeing accidents, but I think when she has to go, she has to go. I think she's finally figured out the connection with going out to do her business. Let's hope so, otherwise it's depends time. I already purchased special glasses and a black light flashlight to look for hidden pee spots. I look like CSI examining a crime scene! Got some good disinfecting spray too to discourage repeat accidents. The things we do for love!

View attachment 1460760

Have you tried bell training her? Also, if peeing in house doesn’t stop, I’d talk to vet about incontinence issues. I have a rescue who’s just over 2. They think she was spayed too young which in turn causes her to have incontinence. At first I thought it was my training. So happy I found the solution!

Back
Top Bottom