Guinea talk.

IMG_20180904_183841778.jpg

Hi! This is my first time posting, anyone ever have their guineas fly up into the trees and not come down? I’m getting a bit discouraged that they won’t come down at all, all day? I was looking forward to letting them out but now I’m afraid they are just going to starve themselves to death in the trees?! They do come down to the coop the last two nights.. I had to coax them with a stick last night out of the tree but today they are so high up that won’t be possible! I attached a picture. That’s where they stay allll day long!

Attachments

• 0C17411C-0760-485F-8D32-F68A6DA023CD.jpeg
    0C17411C-0760-485F-8D32-F68A6DA023CD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Hi! This is my first time posting, anyone ever have their guineas fly up into the trees and not come down? I’m getting a bit discouraged that they won’t come down at all, all day? I was looking forward to letting them out but now I’m afraid they are just going to starve themselves to death in the trees?! They do come down to the coop the last two nights.. I had to coax them with a stick last night out of the tree but today they are so high up that won’t be possible! I attached a picture. That’s where they stay allll day long!
If they were my guineas, I would take a long stick and chase them out of the trees any time they fly up into them. Many repetitions of making them uncomfortable in the trees will convince them that is not where they want to be.

If they were my guineas, I would take a long stick and chase them out of the trees any time they fly up into them. Many repetitions of making them uncomfortable in the trees will convince them that is not where they want to be.

Oh okay! I can see that. It’s about 3pm and I just came out and they were down and walked back to their coop. Today they were so high in the tree it wouldn’t have been possible to get to them. Next time they start up I may try and keep them out though!

@Hpatterson09 Welcome to byc! Sometimes mine go in the trees for a while, usually when they get startled. They probably eat some leaves and bugs while they're up there, so I wouldn't worry about them starving. My biggest concern would be predators.

@Hpatterson09 Welcome to byc! Sometimes mine go in the trees for a while, usually when they get startled. They probably eat some leaves and bugs while they're up there, so I wouldn't worry about them starving. My biggest concern would be predators.[/QUOTE

Thank you!!
A little update, I have been keeping two guineas in the coop everyday (rotating which ones). They completely stay out of the trees and they walk around and come down to the house but mostly
hang out by the coop. I’m going to try this for a couple weeks and then let them all out together again!

Hi guys, I haven't been on byc for a while so thought I'd catch up on this thread.
There are some interesting topics too :). Are neighbors had 2 male guineas that would always come over and hang out in front of the 'chicken' tractor that had some younger guineas in it 'cause there was a couple of females in there. So when ever I'd let the young ones out the 2 neighbor guineas would lead them away to the neighbors. So we of course chased the neighbors guines away but it was like trying to separate romeo and juliet:rant
dad finally offered to reimburse me 10$ if I would go over and buy them. Well I did git them and as might be expected the tried to go home for the night. That was not going to work. We needed to catch them but they were pretty wild :( I told dad what he always told me "you just have to be smarter than the guineas" well than he said he'd give me 10$ if I could catch 'em I don't know if it was the $$ or the fact that dad doubted that I could that made me really want to catch them (probably the 10$ ;)) but I set my mind to it and spent part of the afternoon devising ways to trick the guineas but without success.
Then it hit me, why not keep them from going to the neighbors and get them to roost then knock them down and they will be attracted to the light in the chicken tractor and voila I got'em. Not quite that easy but I did succeed in catching them!!!:yesss:

Building a new coop for winter. Plus more coyote proof . Planning on an interior enclosed area for roosting and not sure if I should add nest boxes. If so, how high or at ground level? Anyone have good ideas? Thanks.
IMG_20181014_182658737.jpg

Back
Top Bottom