guinea with (I think) bad bumble foot

Bug n Flock

Songster
Jun 13, 2015
Help! We rescued this little roo and his brother a few days ago knowing he had bumble. We today finally had a moment to look at his feet and realized just how bad they are. We want to help him if we can, but we are OK with saying goodbye to him if it is what is kinder. We have antibiotics if he needs those(bird doxycycline as well as fish pen and fish mox if those are OK to give him even). We are not squeamish if he needs some incising to be saved. Please help us help him! Or let us know if it would be kinder to let him go...

Attachments

• 20190608_130821.jpg
    20190608_130821.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190608_130817.jpg
    20190608_130817.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190608_130805.jpg
    20190608_130805.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190608_130758.jpg
    20190608_130758.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 11
Help! We rescued this little roo and his brother a few days ago knowing he had bumble. We today finally had a moment to look at his feet and realized just how bad they are. We want to help him if we can, but we are OK with saying goodbye to him if it is what is kinder. We have antibiotics if he needs those(bird doxycycline as well as fish pen and fish mox if those are OK to give him even). We are not squeamish if he needs some incising to be saved. Please help us help him! Or let us know if it would be kinder to let him go...
How is the rest of him?
I would try soaking those feet in a warm epsom salts bath, try to get the excess "gunk" off, dry well, then take some more photos. I would not do any cutting at this time, let's see what the feet look like after a good cleaning.
Pododermatitis or Bumblefoot comes to mind, I suppose he was on wet muddy ground all the time? I would also "think" the toe loss is due to frostbite, but that's a guess.

I'm not that familiar with Guinea Fowl or what antibiotics they can take. I "think" it would be the same as chicken, but can't be sure. @casportpony or @Eggcessive would be the ones to ask about that. Of all the antibiotics you have on hand, I would personally use the Fish Mox or even try something like Tricide Neo soaks, but they may have a better suggestion.

Soaking him now. It has been very rainy this past year, and last winter got super duper cold for a few snaps... in the negatives. Frostbite wouldn't surprise me. Aunt also said might be frostbite. Will take better pics when feet clean. We were thinking wrap feet in gauze soaked in water and epsom salts and cover that with vet wrap. Then assess in a day or so maybe? Very open to advice, we want to save him if at all possible.

But as far as previous conditions, IDK. He was given to us 2 days ago by someone who had them for a little while and tried to treat him. They were also given to that person in this condition, so not a new injury by any stretch, poor guy. Sorry for all the posts, we only have phone internet and I'm not great with it always

Soaking him now. It has been very rainy this past year, and last winter got super duper cold for a few snaps... in the negatives. Frostbite wouldn't surprise me. Aunt also said might be frostbite. Will take better pics when feet clean. We were thinking wrap feet in gauze soaked in water and epsom salts and cover that with vet wrap. Then assess in a day or so maybe? Very open to advice, we want to save him if at all possible.
I would soak, clean, dry and place him on clean dry bedding. He may need the feet wrapped depending on what/how you treat, but the feet need to be dry for the moment. Moisture looks to be a contributing factor to his condition. I would cage him and either put him on puppy pads or a thin layer of shavings so you can change that out daily.

His weight loss might be due to his feet - maybe it was painful to get to food/water. I would see if he eats well. Might want to check him for lice/mites too.

Back
Top Bottom