Guineas dying, help!!

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
Hello everyone! I know there has been other threads about this subject, but none really fit my situation, so I figured I would post again and hope someone might give me a little insight as to what the heck is going on!

Ok, so I have been keeping guineas for about 2 years. Started with 12, one died suddenly, but other than that they were great! I hatched around 30 from them this last spring and kept 25 to add to my flock. All has been going pretty good. Raised on mostly turkey/gamebird starter (a few times had to feed them chick when the feed store was out, but they got more gamebird than chick).

For the most part, the flocks (the originals and the new younger ones) mingled during the day, but since they were raised in different spots, one group goes to the barn, and one to their coop at night. All are trained to come back. At night they have a mixture of whatever feed I have on hand. Mostly high protein chicken pellets, sometimes scratch or dent corn. It depends on the day. They free range all day and mingle in the barnyard with turkeys, geese, ducks, and chickens.

Two things have changed a bit, and I'm not sure if there is any correlation. One, for a couple days, 4 of my ducks insisted on sleep in one of the guinea coops. No idea why, but I didn't bother removing them since it seemed fine. Now those four are back to sleeping in their coop :idunno

Also, the past few nights, all the old guineas have suddenly decided to come into the barn coop with the younger ones. For the past few months one or two would go in, but now all or almost all are sleeping in there.

Friday morning I found 2 dead guineas. It was surprising and sudden. It's been a busy week, but I don't remember any signs, and 2 in the same night made me very concerned. Not sure if they were younger or older ones.

Then last night as I was putting everyone away, I noticed one moving a tad slower than the others it was slight, but he was a tiny bit hunched and just moved different.

This morning, I found another one dead, and 2 didn't come out of the coop, they were just standing on the ground looking hunched. Not good.

The coop definitely needs a clean, so I am doing that today. (Could dry dusty poop cause something like this?) We recently had a ton of rain, so things are pretty mucky outside....maybe coccidiosis?? Would that be a problem for adult guineas like this? I've had that issue in my quail and baby poultry, but never in adult birds. Would it cause them harm to go ahead and treat them for that?

Also wondered if worms could cause this many deaths? Is there a way to tell, or should I just go ahead and worm the flock? I have a lot of guineas, is there a way to worm them without squirting something down their throat?

I also have some males that tend to bully others a lot. Could the older males now sleeping in the younger guinea coops be killing them? How would I know if that is the case? Not seeing any external signs of injury on the bodies.

Also, one last note, I found mouse poop in one of my feed bags. Not sure how long they've been pooping that bad, but could that cause deaths? I've gotten more tubs and am locking the feed up better now, but that worries me for sure. It's been maybe 4 days now since they have eating any contaminated feed. But if that might've caused it I'd love to know!

Well, sorry for the long post! I hope someone has some insight for me. I'm leaving for a week after Christmas, and this has me very worried, I don't want to loose anymore!

Any ideas or help appreciated! Thanks!

maybe coccidiosis?? Would that be a problem for adult guineas like this? I've had that issue in my quail and baby poultry, but never in adult birds. Would it cause them harm to go ahead and treat them for that?
Coccidiosis is a potential problem with similar symptoms. Treating them for coccidiosis should not harm them if it isn't the problem.

In wet conditions, aspergillosis and botulism are other possibilities.
Could the older males now sleeping in the younger guinea coops be killing them?
This is unlikely. Older males or even the whole flock killing off an individual is a possibility but not likely the problem with as many deaths as you are having.

Worming your flock

Hi! What does their poop look like? Do you have females and males?
Hi! I tried inspecting it on the ground under the roosts...I wasn't able to see any abnormalities, one little poop looked a little more runny, but I couldn't find any full blown diarrhea or bloody stools. All the rest I could find were normal dry guinea poops! Granted there are over 20 roosting in there, so odd poop could've gotten buried!

Coccidiosis is a potential problem with similar symptoms. Treating them for coccidiosis should not harm them if it isn't the problem.

In wet conditions, aspergillosis and botulism are other possibilities.

This is unlikely. Older males or even the whole flock killing off an individual is a possibility but not likely the problem with as many deaths as you are having.

Worming your flock
Ok! I will go ahead and treat them coccidiosis. I will also look into the other two possibilities, thanks for the ideas!

Ok, thank you so much for letting me know about the males and bullying. Seemed odd, but I love having the confirmation, as I want to cover all bases! I am tired of loosing birds. We also have some cold weather coming in, so hopefully I can figure this out before that hits!

Sorry for your losses
I don’t have a lot of input other then how long has it been since the pen had a proper clean ? Have you thrown away the mouse poo bag of feed so they aren’t eating it ?
I hope you are able to narrow it down so you can save your flock
Thank you!! Any input is much appreciated :)
I hate to admit it, but it's been over a month since there has been a full clean of the guinea coops. Guinea poop is so small and dry it hasn't been on the top of my list! I am working on that right now, and I'm disinfecting everything too, so if that was the problem (I would both be horrified with myself and at the same time happy that it was something easily fixed) hopefully what I'm doing will help!

Yes, the rest of the mouse feed I tossed, wasn't taking a chance. Sadly I used almost the whole bag before I realized what was in it, it is dark in my feed room.

Thank you!! Any input is much appreciated :)
I hate to admit it, but it's been over a month since there has been a full clean of the guinea coops. Guinea poop is so small and dry it hasn't been on the top of my list! I am working on that right now, and I'm disinfecting everything too, so if that was the problem (I would both be horrified with myself and at the same time happy that it was something easily fixed) hopefully what I'm doing will help!

Yes, the rest of the mouse feed I tossed, wasn't taking a chance. Sadly I used almost the whole bag before I realized what was in it, it is dark in my feed room.
We aren’t perfect so don’t be hard on yourself
Hopefully it is something simple that can be fixed
The feed is a possibility
Mice are an issue for all of us to deal with
I don’t know a lot about pens and deep litter method as I only have ducks and because they were in my house for almost a year I was in a routine to clean it daily now that mine are outside I still do it everyday and twice on cold days that they stay inside more
Most ducks don’t care about a mess but my ducks were spoiled with a mom maid that now they won’t settle unless I clean it 😂
They sleep on one side getting it dirty then move to the other side till I get it clean
With proper venting I’m not sure that even going that long would be the reason but getting it clean and disinfected in case the birds died of other reasons is a good idea
I agree with treating them for the other things as well will possibly save the rest if that’s the case

We aren’t perfect so don’t be hard on yourself
Hopefully it is something simple that can be fixed
The feed is a possibility
Mice are an issue for all of us to deal with
I don’t know a lot about pens and deep litter method as I only have ducks and because they were in my house for almost a year I was in a routine to clean it daily now that mine are outside I still do it everyday and twice on cold days that they stay inside more
Most ducks don’t care about a mess but my ducks were spoiled with a mom maid that now they won’t settle unless I clean it 😂
They sleep on one side getting it dirty then move to the other side till I get it clean
With proper venting I’m not sure that even going that long would be the reason but getting it clean and disinfected in case the birds died of other reasons is a good idea
I agree with treating them for the other things as well will possibly save the rest if that’s the case
Thanks! I sure am hard on myself, especially if I might've caused one of my precious babies to die! I will work on that though, lol ;)
I hope it is too! Coop is now cleaned and disinfected, and I'm treating them for all the things lol. One lethargic baby died early afternoon sadly, but the other one was looking a little more perky, so I hope she makes it through the night!

Awe, sounds like you've got some very spoiled duck babies!! Sounds like they are living the good life! The first poultry I ever got were 4 Cayuga ducks when I was 10. Me and my dad built them a beautiful coop and run, and I was meticulous about keeping everything clean, and cleaning their pools clean (as possible lol). There is something special and fun about only having a few birds to dote on!

As far as deep litter goes, it depends on the pen, but I have had pretty good success with deep litter in the winter. It really does keep things warmer! It's tricky with chickens though, as everytime I add new bedding, they scratch it into the old and mix everything together! Deep litter works especially well with the ducks and geese, since they don't disturb it and the later just break down underneath and the top stays clean. Boy is it a nightmare to clean out in the spring though. Waterfowl poop a LOT!

Thank you for all your kind words and ideas!! I sure appreciate it!

I would put them on All Flock feed, because normal hen laying feed does not have the nutrients that they need, and can cause them to be sluggish and die. I hope this helps! Sorry for your losses!

I would put them on All Flock feed, because normal hen laying feed does not have the nutrients that they need, and can cause them to be sluggish and die. I hope this helps! Sorry for your losses!
Oh, I hadn't thought of that! But it makes sense. Thank you for the suggestion, I will pick up a bag tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom