Guineas flew away.

Barry

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Welland, Ontario,Canada
I started with 5 keets in September and they have been confined to the coop ever since.
A few weeks ago 1 flew out when I had the door open to feed them. It flew to a near by tree and the others called to it but it did not answer back. It then flew across the field to another tree and I had to leave it for the night. That was the last I seen of it.
Today another 1 flew out, landed in a tree, stayed there for 1/2 hour and then flew out in the field and I lost sight of it. The others called out a bit but it was quiet also. I will go out again this afternoon after I warm up a bit.
I have no idea of the sex of any of them.
This is not the normal behavior that I have read about, do I have too many males or something like that?

Do you have snow on the ground? Ive noticed Mine do that when there is snow but they dont "fly" away actually. Mine free range and come to sleep at night. They pretty much hang out around the coop and house all day...One time they flew up into a tree and spent the night there but I think they realized it was too cold cause they havent done this since..Maybe it was because youve kept them in the coop since September...I dont know but good luck.

Quote:
Yes, there is snow on the ground. There is not much that they can eat out there at this time of year and it a lot easier to keep their water from freezing if I keep them locked up in the coop.
My question was really why would one leave the others? In my limited past experience, when one got separated it would call the others and that is not happening now.

I do find that odd Barry. Recently our guineas decided to head out and investigate the snow, but one of them somehow got separated and left out by itself at night in our neighbor's woods. My wife was worried about it all night, but I kept telling her it'd come back the next day and sure enough it did. I've had many similar stories to that one over the years, so I do find it odd that they wouldn't come back to the rest of the flock.

I have never had that happened! I find that really odd!! Can't offer you advice. Mine always come back when the others call. Mayb you should clip there wings if you always keep them confined

Cacklin" Hens :

I have never had that happened! I find that really odd!! Can't offer you advice. Mine always come back when the others call. Mayb you should clip there wings if you always keep them confined

I want to let them free range in better weather, if this long cold winter would ever end!
I got guineas to eat ticks. So far they have not eaten one yet and have caused me a lot of work and expense. The area is full of predators so if they do not come back to roost at night they won't last very long.​

What little I know about Guineas is that they are rather wild birds and will do as they please, roost where they please. You may need to give them extra treats, scratch maybe to make them fall in love with your place.

I know a few people with them and theirs are typically all over the place. I even know a guy who has some that stay all day and even roost in his trees but belong to another guy that lives about 75 yards away.

...JP

Ours do forage real well, we have four acres and they seem to cover every inch but it did take them a long time to leave the coop. One day five of them flew over the fence into the neighbors yard. After hours of trying to get them to fly back we went in for dinner. When we came out they were happily laying in the neighbors grass. There was no way we could get them. My husbands said "they'll be fine" and I said They're going to get eaten. We were both right the pearl guineas were fine and the two whites got eaten. A few days ago two of them spent the night on the roof of the coop and they were still there in the morning. Funny birds but worth it.

Quote:
I am certain that you are at least half right...they are funny birds! I am hoping that you are 100% right and that they are worth it. At this point in time that is what I am wondering about. If they are on the roof then they are safe. I saw the escapee just before dark, it was perched on a branch a foot above the snow. I lost sight of of it as it flew away but it had better find a better roost for the night or a coon or coyote will be eating well tonight.

Back
Top Bottom