Guineas ran away today!

BlackberryAcres

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
We have 26 guineas who (mostly) free-range- there is a short fence that they have to fly over and some of them just haven't "gotten it" so they hang out in the yard all day. But 20 or so of them do get out to free-range. Normally they stay in the woods around our house and often we don't see them for hours at a time but it is because they're quiet in the woods. Today we saw them down near the bend in our driveway which is unusual. We were on our way out, and apparently they decided to walk the rest of the way down the driveway, into the road (a bit less than a quarter of a mile from our house), up the hill, and into our neighbors' yards! They'd been there for hours but no one knew they were ours! We found out this evening that they were out there, and I had to herd them back down the road, up the driveway, and into the bird barn just in time for bed.

Obviously this is not something I want to repeat! I know they headed that way around noon, so I will be watching them around that time for the next few days to make sure they don't try to keep the same schedule. Any other advice? It's not like we have a shortage of good green stuff or ticks in the areas that they walked past, lol!

Also, anyone know how long it would take for pesticides to clear their bodies? Our plan was to start butchering a few this week (I would prefer 10ish guineas over 26!) but the garden I found them in had obvious white powder on some of the plants and it creeps me out thinking about them eating the pesticides and then us eating them. They're going to be switched to organic feed in a week or so now that I have a source.

Thank you!

Guineas will go where they want - they roam - and it would take a lot of time to train them to stay inside your fence. If you really don't want them to go back to the neighbor's property, you'll need to keep them in the barn until you're ready to butcher them. As far as pesticides go, I don't know how long it would take to get through their systems, but I'd guess a few days. I have no idea if pesticides get into the meat. That's a question for someone with experience with meat birds. Most of us on this forum have guineas to help with insect control, and as "pets".

Thanks. So, say your pet guineas decided to visit your neighbors, what would be the steps you would take to encourage them to stay close to home? Or would you just allow them to wander onto the road?

We actually want them to free range and understand that they will roam. The short fence they have to fly over is to keep the ducklings away from the adult drake but allow the guineas to get out. We will be butchering some of them but plan on keeping around ten. We want them for tick control, and eggs if they decide to lay in the house. It's just that the minimum order was 30 keets and we were only able to find one person to take 4 of them. 26 is too many.

They have 56 acres to roam in. I'd like to figure out how I could encourage them to stay in that area and not play in the road.

I understand what you're asking, but I'm not the person to answer your roaming question since I don't have experience with that.

What state do you live in? I'm betting this forum has a dedicated blog to your state, for example, there is a Backyard Chickens forum for Georgia, where people talk about their chickens and guineas, buy and sell, etc., and you can find someone who would love to buy many, or all of your guineas.

How old are they? That makes a difference in what you can charge. Day-old keets go for an average of $4/per. Adults can go for $10 - $20/per. You can also put an ad in your Market Bulletin under the poultry section. I think each state has one. I'll bet people will call you sooner rather than later - it's just getting the word out there. Since guineas aren't that easy to find, people will drive a fairly long distance to get them.

But I understand you're still left with the daunting task of training the remaining 10.

Experts?

Anytime my guineas go somewhere they never go it is because they are chasing and harassing something and it is usually a cat, crazy birds.

I do live on 100 acres and they don't leave it , but they seem to keep a certain distance from the roosting area ,even retiring around noon for a siesta.
I have had guineas free ranging here going on 7 years now and it's always been the same, i don't even think to look where any of them are at unless i hear a rucas from a whole gang of them

I agree with how easy it would be to sell adult guineas. Around here they go for 15 dollars a bird for a standard pearl and go up from there. I have never heard of anybody here actually butchering their guineas. In Jamaica I know plenty of families that keep guineas for meat, but it is the first I have ever heard anybody do it here. Not that I am against it at all, just unusual. Worth too much money........

My guineas roam our 600 acres but always come back to the pen a couple times a day. They all roost in a tree right next to my pen. Wish I could get them in the coop but they will have none of it. Tree only! When I got my first guineas I remember all ways freaking out when they would vanish for a while or be way out in the horse or cow pastures. Luckily we have no close neighbors and they always return. My sisters guineas like her neighbors house better than hers and might as well be his. Good luck keeping yours home. My best piece of advice is to always have food available at the same spot maybe right outside the fence. I have noticed if I just keep feed in the pen they don't always come back to eat it. With a feed dish sitting on the outside of the pen they always come eat. I don't know if they are worried I am going to shut them in or what.

Hi
Guineas need to have about 1.5 to 2 meter fence and their one of their wings the flight feathers clip to keep then in a camp or closure and then it takes a while for them to grow out. Yeah they love to roam so unless your property is well fenced it will not help to herd them.
Hannes

I agree with how easy it would be to sell adult guineas. Around here they go for 15 dollars a bird for a standard pearl and go up from there. I have never heard of anybody here actually butchering their guineas. In Jamaica I know plenty of families that keep guineas for meat, but it is the first I have ever heard anybody do it here. Not that I am against it at all, just unusual. Worth too much money........

My guineas roam our 600 acres but always come back to the pen a couple times a day. They all roost in a tree right next to my pen. Wish I could get them in the coop but they will have none of it. Tree only! When I got my first guineas I remember all ways freaking out when they would vanish for a while or be way out in the horse or cow pastures. Luckily we have no close neighbors and they always return. My sisters guineas like her neighbors house better than hers and might as well be his. Good luck keeping yours home. My best piece of advice is to always have food available at the same spot maybe right outside the fence. I have noticed if I just keep feed in the pen they don't always come back to eat it. With a feed dish sitting on the outside of the pen they always come eat. I don't know if they are worried I am going to shut them in or what.

Well why do people keep guineas then? I thought they were for meat!

Most people that I know.....myself included..keep them for tick control and as an alarm system for the other fowl. I had ticks on my dogs when I first moved to this 16 acre farm....I got some and no more ticks. They also alert the dogs to trouble. Don't know anyone that eats them......

Back
Top Bottom