guineas

I don't mind their loudness at all. I have a large property and they wander all over so it's not as if they're stationary area not too far from my house constantly.
Probably my biggest issue with them is their wandering. I do have fencing along my driveway to keep them out of the road and some along the wood line to keep them out of the woods but they figured out how to go around the end of the fencing and have had many escapades into the woods.

20220506_094650.jpg

I used to kind of like them but now I hate em! They are ugly, annoying, and aggressive. I had 1 female guinea a few years ago and she did okay at first she was living with the older chickens for about a year. The problem started the next year when I got some bantams and younger chicks. This guinea would chase them around and attack them and one day I came out to find my bantam hen laying on the ground screaming with the guinea biting and pecking her! The bantam died later that day. I probably should have just gotten rid of it at that point but about a year later I decided to get more guineas for some reason. I got a male and female pair and they did well for a few weeks with the bigger chickens since I learned my lesson about keeping them with bantams! Then they started to get more and more aggressive by the day, especially the male. He would lift his wings up and charge at any chicken that got too close. I had a young rooster at the time and although he was pretty big, he was especially targeted. The chickens were tired and stressed and egg production went down, I don't blame them for that. I mean, if I was being chased every day by some ugly clown lookin bird I wouldn't lay eggs either. At that point I had enough of them so I released them in our back field and never saw them again. I feel like we should have butchered them instead though :idunno

I don't mind their loudness at all. I have a large property and they wander all over so it's not as if they're stationary area not too far from my house constantly.
Probably my biggest issue with them is their wandering. I do have fencing along my driveway to keep them out of the road and some along the wood line to keep them out of the woods but they figured out how to go around the end of the fencing and have had many escapades into the wood
I ended up closing my fencing off and adding a gate to my driveway due to the wandering problem. They kept trying to invade one neighbor's dog yard or going into the field of the adjacent horse farm. They have 4 to 5 acres of woodland and open ground to forage on and so far they seem content with that.

Back
Top Bottom