Gulf Coast Texans- need advice on run construction/substrate please!

kiraboo

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 6, 2015
I'm not getting my chicks until spring of next year but in the meantime am doing as much research as possible to get the chicken coop and run right so I don't have to redo everything later. I live an hour south of Houston TX, in Danbury, which is usually rainy, humid, and definitely hot (with mild winters that dip down to freezing on occasion). I've read tons of pros and cons about preferred litters and wanted to know if deep litter or sand is better for my area. I'm leaning toward sand mostly because of the heat. Regardless, I need advice on how to construct the run so that there is optimal drainage. The ground is heavy clay and does not drain well. The run will have a roof but the crazy heavy rains we get WILL get it wet. I also don't want rats, snakes and other critters getting in, as we live out in critter-infested country, so pavers or concrete or something will be on the run floor. But if I have a solid floor, and a raised containment system to hold the sand (or deep litter), how do I make it drain well? Have it elevated and add weep holes? Mesh grates? Gravel base covered with screening material under the sand/litter? I'd really LOVE your input as I've been thinking about this for a while with no great solutions. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom