Gunky Eyes and Sneezing???

Cole Campbell

Chirping
Aug 22, 2019
Hey everyone. I have some hens that I think have a respiratory disease. They’ve been sneezing lately but I can never tell who it is. Today I found one of my hens basically wandering blind because her eyes are swollen and gunky! I visited my local stores but nobody has any water soluble/ powder antibiotics... is there anything else I can do? I do NOT want to have to inject 70+ chickens with antibiotics if I can avoid it. Pictured below is the hen. She’s about 8 months old. She is not really a lover so I can tell she doesn’t feel well since she’s cuddling. 😢

Attachments

• 78797148-F2E3-4A93-BA67-9D365C19A19D.jpeg
    78797148-F2E3-4A93-BA67-9D365C19A19D.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 5
Are both eyes swollen and gunky or just one? Does she have a bad odor coming from her face? If it is both eyes, there might be a chance of coryza versus the other one, MG. Without testing, it is hard to know for sure. Some feed stores sell LA200 oxytetracycline which is injectable, but some folks do give it orally. If you use it, I would give 1/2 ml 100 mg daily for 7 days. If you have a vet, that would be best. They might give you something better to use, and you could ask about testing. Here is a link to read about those and other diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Are both eyes swollen and gunky or just one? Does she have a bad odor coming from her face? If it is both eyes, there might be a chance of coryza versus the other one, MG. Without testing, it is hard to know for sure. Some feed stores sell LA200 oxytetracycline which is injectable, but some folks do give it orally. If you use it, I would give 1/2 ml 100 mg daily for 7 days. If you have a vet, that would be best. They might give you something better to use, and you could ask about testing. Here is a link to read about those and other diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
I had one hen that it seemed to be just one eye but the other was definitely both. So swollen she couldn’t really see. I feel so awful for not noticing sooner. There are no vets in the area who look at poultry 😕 I have tried previously. And by orally, do you mean in water or by syringe in the mouth?

Does she smell bad? Give it (the medicine) orally into her beak. You can clean the eyes with saline eye wash twice a day, and add a dab of Terramycin Eye Ointment into her eyes twice a day. If the pus is bad or thick it may need to be squeezed out for the ointment and meds to be helpful. This graphic video shows how to get pus out of an eye:

If it has been going on for a long time, here is another graphic video:

Does she smell bad? Give it (the medicine) orally into her beak. You can clean the eyes with saline eye wash twice a day, and add a dab of Terramycin Eye Ointment into her eyes twice a day. If the pus is bad or thick it may need to be squeezed out for the ointment and meds to be helpful. This graphic video shows how to get pus out of an eye:

If it has been going on for a long time, here is another graphic video:
Thank you! I will try this.

Back
Top Bottom