Guys? Confusion? 🤔

Pics
New discovery on my "white" frizzle, he's start growing in red feathers on his chest and shoulder areas- (Which has me believe he's a boy even more than before.) But where's this red coming from now? 🤔
And i don't have his mom to do more hatching with either.. unless the other hens will produce this too.
View attachment 3775480View attachment 3775481View attachment 3775482
-
And the chick we thought was a splash that started looking barred looks even more barred than before.. :confused: .
View attachment 3775483View attachment 3775484View attachment 3775485View attachment 3775486
Im curious to see how they fully feather out

Jeeeeeeze!
Let me get back to you tomorrow, I need to do some thinking. It seems we have to think about the E locus now, and Co/co too because of the red. Is it just the frizzle’s chicks that aren’t solid Blue, Black, White or Splash?
I did some more talking with the old owner of the roo- she told me (as I've said before) he came out of cochin eggs she hatched out from another lady-
However I just found out that she said she's not positive but she believes all her cochin pens are fun pens and none are color seperated- She didn't know the exact set up though.
But that tells us he could literally be hiding anything right?

I did some more talking with the old owner of the roo- she told me (as I've said before) he came out of cochin eggs she hatched out from another lady-
However I just found out that she said she's not positive but she believes all her cochin pens are fun pens and none are color seperated- She didn't know the exact set up though.
But that tells us he could literally be hiding anything right?
That certainly explains a lot!

Yes, the rooster could be hiding just about anything.

Here's an update.
The white with leakage definitely has more red and i think I see black starting up now also.
The barred chick is looking more splash than anything now, only the tips of the wings show that barring we were seeing. I'm really curious about that one and what it'll grow up into.
White with leakage: (I'm also quite positive it's a boy. )
IMG_20240401_134304925.jpg
IMG_20240401_134309923.jpg
IMG_20240401_134234037.jpg

The "barred" chick: (The reason i say it's looking splash now is because it's developing white feathers with black/blue specks sprouting here and there.)
IMG_20240401_134418745.jpg
IMG_20240401_134607398.jpg
IMG_20240401_134520996.jpg
IMG_20240401_134554046.jpg

Also an update on the one and only blue frizzle- Thinking pullet now. (You might remember me saying I thought it would be a boy.)
9b82872e-0fd2-41c3-9981-b22c7c649e1bphoto.jpeg
6886cc7f-78c6-4813-9cb1-33705990538aphoto.jpeg
76a07fd9-78ca-4cfd-8cff-96a4870fbd1dphoto.jpeg

Unfortunately no- I keep checking though 😂
Little guy probably won't hatch until late tonight unless he decides to zip early.
He hasn't been pipped very long.
I believe his mama is my only white frizzle girl- The rest are smooth. The frizzle tends to lay a different egg shape than the others. Could be wrong though.
Here they are, roo is in the background on some.
View attachment 3735145View attachment 3735146View attachment 3735147
Curious how you like the sand (know it's way off topic, 😔) and what state your in mainly to know what kind of weather you deal with? I'm in TN and considering switching to sand

The chick on the far right (corner) in both pictures is the one I know hatched out of my red girls egg.
The one in front of the ugly duckling chick is the one I wasn't sure about.
View attachment 3735740View attachment 3735741
I'm also aware of the little stargazer, he just got some vitamins.
Also the chick fixing to photobomb the cochins in the bottom left corner isn't a cochin and didn't come from my birds.
Is it stargazing or is it just walking on it hocks?

Yeah, Mauve is the combination of both blue and chocolate genes expressing. Chocolate is sexlinked, so how it's inherited depends on whether the male or the female is the Chocolate individual in the pairing. To make Mauves right away, you want a Chocolate male:

Chocolate male x Blue female = 25% Black males carrying chocolate, 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Chocolate females, and 25% Mauve females
Chocolate male x Splash female = 50% Blue males carrying chocolate, 50% Mauve females

The other way around, you don't get any Mauves in the first generation cross, but could use the male offspring from such a cross to make Mauves in the future:

Blue male x Chocolate female = 25% Black males carrying chocolate, 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Black females, 25% Blue females.
Splash male x Chocolate female = 50% Blue males carrying chocolate, 50% Blue females

Remember that females cannot carry the chocolate gene, so in this second set of birds only the males carry the chocolate gene and the females do not have it at all!

To get Mauve males, you'll have to do an additional cross, either using any of the males carrying chocolate crossed to the Mauve females, or using the Blue males carrying chocolate crossed to Chocolate females.

Black male carrying chocolate x Mauve female = 25% Blue offspring, 25% Black offspring, 25% Chocolate offspring, and 25% Mauve offpsring, in each case of both sexes.
Blue male carrying chocolate x Mauve female = 25% Blue offspring, 25% Mauve offspring, 12.5% Splash offspring, 12.5% Mauve Splash offspring, 12.5% Black offspring, and 12.5% Chocolate offspring, in each case of both sexes.

Blue male carrying chocolate x Chocolate female = the exact same results as the Black male carrying chocolate x Mauve female.

Now, having your Blues and Splashes that potentially carry recessive white in there means that whites could pop up in this generation of crossings in addition to the colors listed. Effectively, you'd have the same ratios of each color that I listed, but about one quarter of each color would express White instead if both parents in the cross happen to carry recessive white.

And, about equal numbers of each color should be frizzled and non-frizzled from each cross where your frizzle is involved, assuming that you always cross frizzle to smooth as is always recommended.

I agree with this as well. 🙂
Are you not supposed to breed frizzle to frizzle? New to this

Definitely confusing.

At this point, I'm inclined to wait for them to feather out before guessing any more. It is good to have the photos to show what they look like at various ages, so then we can put all the clues together and (hopefully) figure out what is really going on.

Yes, I do agree that the one looks like it has barring, although I have seen some other colors/patterns of chickens that could look like that in the early stages. Since I've been fooled before, that's another one where I'm inclined to wait and see what it looks like as it continues feathering out.
Me too- I've seen what appeared to be barring on first feathers and when they molted and grew adult feathers they were not barred at all 🐤

Interesting.
If it helps I currently only have 2 white cochin hens laying, 1 hasn't started. Then I have the one roo.
Before I had 3 hens, 1 being the frizzle who also is the only one I got the blue from.
Since she has passed on I may not get another blue from them unless another hen carries it. (However her last egg is in the incubator on lockdown, so if it manages to hatch it may end up being a blue.)
I did get a white frizzle off of her from her second to last egg also.
(P. S. the one that hasn't started is from an entirely different farm, and she's most likely recessive white.)
I thought blue and splash were essentially the same gene and that you could get splash chicks from a blue parent and blue from a splash because it's a dilution gene. At least that's how I thought it worked for breeding BBs to each other. If the other parent isn't BBS does that change things?

Back
Top Bottom