Gynandromorph Chicken

Guyandgirlmorph
big_smile.png

Once upon a time, I had a chicken that looked like a rooster but never crowed and the other chickens treated it like a hen ( the roosters bred it ). I found it dead in the coop when it was maybe 9 months old, for no obvious reason, it was just laying in the corner. At the time I was thinking words like transgender, but didn't quite know what to call it. It looked like a regular rooster, maybe not as fully feathered and less tail feathering but nothing as strikingly different as earlier pics in this thread. Is this the sort of thing you are talking about, or was mine something different?

So if you're able to genetically make it both male and female, is there a way you can predetermine sex altogether?
I feel like if you could ensure that all chicks at hatch would be female (or male) then you could make a fortune!

please don't take offense, but if this is an intentional creation, what is the point? why would you genetically engineer a bird to be hermaphroditic? isn't that akin to "playing God"?
hmm.png

BigDaddy'sGurl :

please don't take offense, but if this is an intentional creation, what is the point? why would you genetically engineer a bird to be hermaphroditic? isn't that akin to "playing God"?
hmm.png

How is it different from creating animals with sex-link traits, or a meatier breast, or higher egg laying capacity?

I personally find this very interesting, and I'm curious about what you and the folks at Edinburgh are learning from them.​

BigDaddy'sGurl :

hmm.png

We will one day be able to do all those things considered "Godly" when it comes to life, hopefully we don't destroy ourselves in the process
smile.png

my point is that it will probably not exactly fit into the social structure of a flock: rooster AND hen traits...would it be able to reproduce? I mean, just as I said, what is the point? Would it crow and then head to the nesting box? I can see breeding to produce meatier birds, better layers, etc...but a hermaphroditic bird? I repeat, with no offense intended at all just surprised that time is spent on studying this, what is the point?

And in response to "the waddler", without expounding on religion, I personally plan to leave as much "Godly" things to the Man himself, lol...I don't want to destroy myself...

please keep in mind that if this is a situation wherein these gynandromorph birds are popping up naturally and then being studied, my dissenting opinion is nil....it is if the birds are being intentionally genetically engineered this way that I don't understand or agree with.

Last edited:
These gynandromorphs only occur naturally because it is not understood yet HOW they occur. That is the one remaining question and hopefully this study will unlock that mystery. I would imagine that once that is understood, someone will try to create one artificially and succeed. Each gynandromorph is different and most are infertile so it is unknown if the one that I hatched will be able to reproduce. There is no known documentation of how and when changes take place in a gynandromorph from the very beginning. The idea is to produce poultry that is more productive and, who knows, may be able control the gender of chickens. Maybe someday millions of cockerel chicks will no longer have to be ground up alive.

Back
Top Bottom