H.E.L.P ! ! ! P. L. E. A. S. E !!! My ROOSTER IS DYIN!!!

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hi Everyone,

My rooster recently encountered a very bizzare problem. He is able to walk, but his head is like, he has been dizzy for days. This is the third day, getting a LITTLE better only, not a lot.

One day, out of nowhere, I spotted my rooster, able to walk, but no balance and run into things. His head constantly spinning and moving around like he just got off a dizzy ride. Its really awkward. He still crows, yet, much less than he did before. He eats, but it takes him hours to. He poops fine but can't roost at night because he can't seem to have his head straight enough to focus and jump. Has no balance. He can't "focus" and pecks air rather than the grain I feed him. Its terrible.

Can anyone PLEASE help me on how to fix it? I think it could be brain damage or something? Its hurting to see him like that. Hope its fixable.

- Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Tommy! I am so sorry! I hope someone can help you soon. I am sorry that I don't have enough experience to be of any help. Rest assured though that someone whe can help will post soon. Hang in there.

Sorry to hear this, Just thought of you the other day when I posted about the chook `language' research done with the San Diego Zoo flocks (you're breeding some of their offspring, yes?).

I'm still an egg at this stuff so I'll just post links (if he was vaccinated for Marek's just disregard this post), what caught my eye was your describing his inability to judge distance when pecking at food.

http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2005/Spring/mareks.htm

Below is a less specific link, but maybe there's something there that matches (just a good reference):

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/diagext.htm

Good Luck (I'm hoping he just hit his head on something and will be improving soon).

the imbalance (called ATAXIA) and in particular the head spinning leads me to believe that it is an inner ear infection (might also be caused by infection by mites in the ear)...
Please go to
http://www.featherfanciers.com
and register in order to post this problem to Peter Brown (you will also find an email address and you can email him also)...he can advise you further on meds and supply the necessary ones you will need to treat.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the info. I did what some of the things everyone sent me and he is much better now. About 80-85% healed. Still not able to roost at night, but at least he can crow now, a LOT, eat a lot and back to his normal cocky ways. Haha

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!
thumbsup.gif

- Tommy

Sure! Not a problem.

By the way, I am lucky school didn't start yet so I had time to care for the poor guy.

Anyhow, I put him in a his own cage, large enough for movement of course and have food and water at a VERY low level so he may see. I pretty much spread food EVERYWHERE, not caring much for feed loss. Just to make sure he has food wherever he goes. Also, his water is changed DAILY in case of any contaminations. I bring him in at every night. Feed him chopped greens w/ fish. Massage his neck and feet a lot to get blood flowing in case it could be some blood clots, whatever the problem is and WOALA! About a week later...he's gotten better. I don't think I missed out on anything.

But feel free to ask : )

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom