Had a Scare Today!

2iceblest

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
Cicero, Indiana
My 14-week old pullets get a bit of free-range time. I love to see them so happy running around and flapping their wings, chasing each other for some moth they caught. If I’m not able to stay with them the whole time, I keep the door open to listen for hawks and eagles and do sight checks every few minutes.

The predatory birds chase the song birds away. They don’t usually hunt here since we keep the fields low cut. And, when something scares the pullets, like any unfamiliar noise or even a gust of wind, they high tail it to the run.

It was rainy but the birds were chirping away so I knew no predators were around. Check. Another check. The pullets were happily under the ash trees, as usual. Wild bird chirping continued. Another check and - gone! I ran out there and couldn’t find them! No chirping birds!! I scanned the sky and finally saw a hawk fly for the tree line.

Then, I looked under ‘Fat Alberta’, a large and wide cedar with low branches, and there were all the girls - one perched on a branch.

Phew! Smart girls!!

Now, I’m sad. I have to figure something out. I’ve heard hawks don’t like owls but if I put out a fake one swinging from a tree, I fear my flock will be scared of it, too. I can’t put up string because the lot is too big and the girls usually roam from one stand of trees to the next. So darn cute!

The only way to keep them completely safe is to keep them in a covered run.

Keeping a close eye on them when free ranging helps, but.... isn’t foolproof.

You will risk losses if you free range them, and only you can assess the risk to benefit ratio.

I free range my birds as much as possible when I’m home- so I completely feel your “pain”

.....I have seen some threads where people put these (link at the bottom) out on “plant hangers” (the kind that you put in the ground).

I can see why they may work. But I have not tried them and can’t speak from experience.

Here, for whatever reason, the crows HATE the hawks and will form a murder and chase them almost every time.

Soooo....when I hear more than one crow, I know the hawks are likely close!

But we have many other predators as well :/ the raccoons (thus far) have been the most problematic.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=disco+balls&crid=37BB56WDHMRC0&sprefix=disco+balls,aps,220&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

(Yes, disco balls. The angles of all the mirrors have been -reported to- scare off many [mostly aeriel] predators)

The only way to keep them completely safe is to keep them in a covered run.

Keeping a close eye on them when free ranging helps, but.... isn’t foolproof.

You will risk losses if you free range them, and only you can assess the risk to benefit ratio.

I free range my birds as much as possible when I’m home- so I completely feel your “pain”

.....I have seen some threads where people put these (link at the bottom) out on “plant hangers” (the kind that you put in the ground).

I can see why they may work. But I have not tried them and can’t speak from experience.

Here, for whatever reason, the crows HATE the hawks and will form a murder and chase them almost every time.

Soooo....when I hear more than one crow, I know the hawks are likely close!

But we have many other predators as well :/ the raccoons (thus far) have been the most problematic.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=disco+balls&crid=37BB56WDHMRC0&sprefix=disco+balls,aps,220&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

(Yes, disco balls. The angles of all the mirrors have been -reported to- scare off many [mostly aeriel] predators)
Thank you VERY MUCH!!
I agree. It is a risk. They always react to the crows but I thought they feared the crows, not that they were an alarm. Still learning.
We don’t have raccoons because the four dogs keep them away. The only one I’ve seen was a young one the coyotes got in a few days. But, we do have fox and coyotes so I’m with them before dusk doing chores, and in before dark.
Thanks again!!

Must be because the little pullets don’t leave the run. We seen them and scared them off and haven’t seen then since. But it killed my Wyandottes. I am going to order a few new Wyandotte chickens

Back
Top Bottom