two in two days - Hawk problem or two predators?

TrailsideFarmRI

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2023
Yesterday I had my first predator loss. a hawk killed one of my flock. While I was devastated, my chickens run free in a fenced 1/2 acre orchard, so I knew that I was a possibility. I know it was a hawk because we have a camera which caught it the aftermath.

This afternoon, I went out to find the remainder of my flock huddled in the corner of the orchard, and upon counting chickens was coming up short. I searched the orchard high and low and finally found the remainder of the body of another hen. What is confusing me is her location: she was under the coop. feathers picked off and mostly neck and shoulders eaten, which makes me think it was the hawk, but would a hawk drag a body under the coop? Maybe the hen managed the get under the coop, died from its injuries, and the hawk came back for its meal?

thoughts?
I'll be investing is shiny pie pans this afternoon none the less.

originally a 13 bird flock, 12 hens, 1 rooster. Located in western RI. chickens are free range in a 1/2 acre orchard with an 8' perimeter fence and lots to hide under. orchard is surrounded by woods

Yesterday I had my first predator loss. a hawk killed one of my flock. While I was devastated, my chickens run free in a fenced 1/2 acre orchard, so I knew that I was a possibility. I know it was a hawk because we have a camera which caught it the aftermath.

This afternoon, I went out to find the remainder of my flock huddled in the corner of the orchard, and upon counting chickens was coming up short. I searched the orchard high and low and finally found the remainder of the body of another hen. What is confusing me is her location: she was under the coop. feathers picked off and mostly neck and shoulders eaten, which makes me think it was the hawk, but would a hawk drag a body under the coop? Maybe the hen managed the get under the coop, died from its injuries, and the hawk came back for its meal?

thoughts?
I'll be investing is shiny pie pans this afternoon none the less.

originally a 13 bird flock, 12 hens, 1 rooster. Located in western RI. chickens are free range in a 1/2 acre orchard with an 8' perimeter fence and lots to hide under. orchard is surrounded by woods
We do this to keep them away, or at least OUT

Attachments

• IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 39
The bird under the coop sounds like a raccoon. They start at the head and go down the neck to the shoulders. How much they take depends on the size of the coon and the size of the bird.

Yes a hawk will do that. I also saw the chickens huddled under the bushes and watched the hawk eating my young cockerel so I say this from experience. Seeing the birds under anything hiding is an indication of an aerial predator rather than one that is on the ground

Back
Top Bottom