Had to chase them again. What do I do?

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
My three hens have been very friendly and obedient for the longest time; they loves to be pet and picked up, plus they came when I called them in for seeds so I could let my dogs out.
About a month ago, they didn't come for the seeds at all. I tried approaching them to pick them up, but they would run away. It was very odd. I at least figured out why though, the new neighbors just started mowing their backyard lawn, and the chickens never heard a lawnmower so close, so it scared them. Anyways, I eventually had to chase them down, using a walking stick to gently pin them down. It hurt our relationship; they would not let me approach them for several days. However I was able to get them in the coop using a great idea at the time; I'd grab a handful of these pink flowers that they LOVED (we had to move the pot to the front yard since they'd eat all of them!). I trailed them in very easily. It worked for quite awhile, then one of them wouldn't come in, but she was very easy to approach and pick up, so it wasn't much of a problem. Then two wouldn't come to the flowers; the flightiest of the bunch. So I started using seeds again, which worked for about a week. Now they won't come in to flowers and seeds. My mother and I had to chase them down again. Thankfully the flightiest one was in the coop already laying an egg. They don't know any other treat besides seeds and flowers. What do I do? I really don't want to have to chase them down every time my dogs need to go outside.
I'd appreciate any help!

The dogs and chickens need 2 different exercise areas.
As you've found, herding chickens is nearly impossible. The more one does so, the more skittish they'll be.

The dogs and chickens need 2 different exercise areas.
As you've found, herding chickens is nearly impossible. The more one does so, the more skittish they'll be.
I wish :/ I've talked to my parents about splitting the yard, but my father is a dog person, so he's much more concerned about the dogs not getting enough space to run around ^-^;

The best you can do is use treats and shake the bucket every time you go out and eventually they'll come to the sound.
I use oats, millet and sunflower seeds in summer and wheat and sunflower in winter.
Or put the dogs on a leash and put up a dog cable run so they can travel a distance in one direction but not side to side.

Last edited:
Can you put the dogs on a leash and train them not to chase the chickens? Going to depend a lot on the dogs, I would think. Sometimes that's easy, but often very difficult and they never become reliable enough to trust.

If you take the dogs on a leash, the chickens might learn to retreat into the coop when they see them? Or can you make a safe area for the chickens to run into that the dogs could not follow, and keep the dogs on leash until the chickens are safe?

My chickens learned pretty quickly to clear the backyard when I brought the dog outside, returning to their yard or the pasture. Getting them ALL to come into the coop when I want is impossible. And herding them is useless, since they want to run toward me in case I have treats, but don't want to be picked up.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Can you put the dogs on a leash and train them not to chase the chickens? Going to depend a lot on the dogs, I would think. Sometimes that's easy, but often very difficult and they never become reliable enough to trust.

If you take the dogs on a leash, the chickens might learn to retreat into the coop when they see them? Or can you make a safe area for the chickens to run into that the dogs could not follow, and keep the dogs on leash until the chickens are safe?

My chickens learned pretty quickly to clear the backyard when I brought the dog outside, returning to their yard or the pasture. Getting them ALL to come into the coop when I want is impossible. And herding them is useless, since they want to run toward me in case I have treats, but don't want to be picked up.

I hope you find something that works for you.
One of my dogs is ok with the chickens, but I still don't trust her around them. The other, is, well, she is not good with chickens at all. She has killed six chickens in her past, and whenever I go out to check for eggs while she's out, she will get right there by the door and try to lunge in if I don't notice her.

The best you can do is use treats and shake the bucket every time you go out and eventually they'll come to the sound.
I use oats, millet and sunflower seeds in summer and wheat and sunflower in winter.
Or put the dogs on a leash and put up a dog cable run so they can travel a distance in one direction but not side to side.
I suppose I'll just have to try different treats then.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom