Haldimand County, Ontario, Canada

zak.88

Hatching
Jun 25, 2018
We recently moved to a 1 acre property in Cayuga to enjoy the country lifestyle!

As part of this rural lifestyle, we were planning on purchasing 3-4 chickens for our backyard to produce eggs for our consumption. We were surprised today to find out that chickens are banned under Haldimand County By-law No.1396/13, unless we are living on a property zoned as rural or agricultural.

Our property backs on to a large field of wheat, and there are several farms within 1km of our house that raise cows and sheep. I was shocked to be informed by the County that we are NOT designated as a rural property, despite there being cows and sheep within walking distance of our house!

There are several large municipalities that already allow backyard chickens. The City of Toronto is in the midst of a three year pilot project to test the allowance of backyard chickens. Other municipalities such as the City of Kitchener have allowed residents to keep flocks of up to four birds on their properties.

All of these municipalities have enacted restrictions such as limiting the flock size and not allowing roosters which limits the amount of noise.

Since we are electing our municipal officials in Ontario this fall, I have contacted all the candidates to see if we can get this by-law amended!

We recently moved to a 1 acre property in Cayuga to enjoy the country lifestyle!

As part of this rural lifestyle, we were planning on purchasing 3-4 chickens for our backyard to produce eggs for our consumption. We were surprised today to find out that chickens are banned under Haldimand County By-law No.1396/13, unless we are living on a property zoned as rural or agricultural.

Our property backs on to a large field of wheat, and there are several farms within 1km of our house that raise cows and sheep. I was shocked to be informed by the County that we are NOT designated as a rural property, despite there being cows and sheep within walking distance of our house!

There are several large municipalities that already allow backyard chickens. The City of Toronto is in the midst of a three year pilot project to test the allowance of backyard chickens. Other municipalities such as the City of Kitchener have allowed residents to keep flocks of up to four birds on their properties.

All of these municipalities have enacted restrictions such as limiting the flock size and not allowing roosters which limits the amount of noise.

Since we are electing our municipal officials in Ontario this fall, I have contacted all the candidates to see if we can get this by-law amended!
Hello I recently moved into Haldimand County last year, and one of my main purposes of my family moving up was to have enough room to raise chickens, even if it was a small amount of them. Have you gotten any feedback or response to any regulation changes? This is ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom