Half of my guinea flock has disappeared in one go

Gosh I’m sorry! That must be a very painful discovery. I should have asked first where you are located, and what predators you know are around. I’ve been assuming USA, like me. I am going to guess that you had multiple coyotes, a pair or pack. It can be hard to tell coyote, fox, and bobcat scat apart. However, that diameter seems pretty large for a fox, leaving coyote and bobcat. If you broke some apart and found berries, grass, or insect parts then it would be coyote. If some scat is covered, then bobcat is more likely.

https://thfoutdoors.com/trapping/coyote-scat/

However, killing that many free ranging guineas at one time seems more like the work of multiple coyotes. Most guineas don’t get to learn predator evasion from successful adults; they learn as they go. So domestic Guinea flocks are somewhat notorious for standing there as a dog or car decimates the flock. However, I’ve had a fair amount of bobcat attacks on our guineas, and have not lost more than one per day. Bobcats will take out whole chicken flocks, but those are usually after the bobcat gets in the coop, or the chickens are otherwise unable to get away. I think that your guineas would have wised up to a bobcat and flown before losing so many birds. Coyotes and foxes though can take a lot of birds quickly. A pair of coyotes with pups would be motivated to kill as many birds as possible, then feed to pups and cache at their leisure.
Ahh, yeah I'm in Virginia, I should have specified, sorry!! I don't think we have bobcats here, afaik ^^; But we do have foxes and coyotes for sure.

I think I have the confirmation I was seeking, though... drove up to the pastures today where all this happened and lo and behold, there's a big ole coyote out there in broad daylight poking around >.> He took off as soon as he saw me but I have an idea of where he & his friends might be holed up...

Ahh, yeah I'm in Virginia, I should have specified, sorry!! I don't think we have bobcats here, afaik ^^; But we do have foxes and coyotes for sure.

I think I have the confirmation I was seeking, though... drove up to the pastures today where all this happened and lo and behold, there's a big ole coyote out there in broad daylight poking around >.> He took off as soon as he saw me but I have an idea of where he & his friends might be holed up...
Returning to the scene of the crime is typical, so a coyote seems very likely. Info on bobcats in Virginia: https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/bobcat/

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. 😔 I can't imagine...I'd be devastated. You'll need more female Guineas for your boys, but probably also need to build predator proof pens like I did.

I'm in Delaware, we've got lots of foxes, some coyotes, & believe it or not, occasional Bobcats or Cougar. It's rare, but it happens & they've been caught on camera...so, never say never.

Back
Top Bottom