Hand turning

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
I got a really cheap incubator from Amazon based on someone’s success using it. It does not have an autoturning function. I was wondering instead of turning each individual egg if I could tilt the entire incubator from side to side. I read that 45 degrees is best and you do a 90 degree turn each time. Any glaring reasons why this shouldn’t work before I try? I plan on giving it a “test drive” with some random eggs just to make sure my system works.

Short answer: I don't know for sure, but I have a bunch of thoughts.... :D

I was wondering instead of turning each individual egg if I could tilt the entire incubator from side to side. I read that 45 degrees is best and you do a 90 degree turn each time. Any glaring reasons why this shouldn’t work before I try?

If the incubator has a place where you put water to control humdity, then tipping the incubator will probably spill the water. (You might not need to add water during most of incubation: it depends on the humidity of the air in the room where the incubator is. But if you DO need to add water, tipping the incubator could cause trouble.)

The eggs will roll around in the incubator as you tip it, unless you do something to hold them in place. (If they all roll to one side, you might decide they are turned enough, and set it back level until the next "turning" time. Then tipping it the other way might roll them back. I'm not sure if that would actually work or not, just speculating here.)

It might be difficult to put the incubator in a stable position at an angle. (Then again, you might have something just right to prop it with, so it might be easy for you.)

The number of eggs can make a big difference. Turning every one of 6 eggs is faster than turning every one of 100 eggs!

I plan on giving it a “test drive” with some random eggs just to make sure my system works.
Testing is definitely a good idea.

I would suggest marking eggs (X on one side and O on the other, or something of the sort), to make it easier to see whether they have shifted positions.

You could also try a batch of eggs with no turning at all, for comparison. My understanding is that some eggs will hatch even with no turning, so comparing with that will tell you how much benefit your method of turning is actually giving. (No turning would certainly be the easiest for you, if you can get a decent hatch rate that way. I have not personally tried it, so I'd be curious to learn what results you get if you do try it.)

I got a really cheap incubator from Amazon based on someone’s success using it. It does not have an autoturning function. I was wondering instead of turning each individual egg...
Turning is most important in about the first third of incubation (first week for chicken eggs.) So you might hand-turn each egg for the first week, then turn less often (maybe once a day) for the second week, then not turn at all in the third week. That would be a way to keep the incubator level and get most of the benefits of turning, while saving a bit of your time in the later stages of incubation.

I don't know about you, but I find it easier to do something (like turning) when it feels new and exciting, and harder when the novelty wears off. Since turning matters more at the beginning, that fits nicely with my pattern of enjoying new things ;)

Short answer: I don't know for sure, but I have a bunch of thoughts.... :D

If the incubator has a place where you put water to control humdity, then tipping the incubator will probably spill the water. (You might not need to add water during most of incubation: it depends on the humidity of the air in the room where the incubator is. But if you DO need to add water, tipping the incubator could cause trouble.)

The eggs will roll around in the incubator as you tip it, unless you do something to hold them in place. (If they all roll to one side, you might decide they are turned enough, and set it back level until the next "turning" time. Then tipping it the other way might roll them back. I'm not sure if that would actually work or not, just speculating here.)

It might be difficult to put the incubator in a stable position at an angle. (Then again, you might have something just right to prop it with, so it might be easy for you.)

The number of eggs can make a big difference. Turning every one of 6 eggs is faster than turning every one of 100 eggs!

Testing is definitely a good idea.

I would suggest marking eggs (X on one side and O on the other, or something of the sort), to make it easier to see whether they have shifted positions.

You could also try a batch of eggs with no turning at all, for comparison. My understanding is that some eggs will hatch even with no turning, so comparing with that will tell you how much benefit your method of turning is actually giving. (No turning would certainly be the easiest for you, if you can get a decent hatch rate that way. I have not personally tried it, so I'd be curious to learn what results you get if you do try it.)

Turning is most important in about the first third of incubation (first week for chicken eggs.) So you might hand-turn each egg for the first week, then turn less often (maybe once a day) for the second week, then not turn at all in the third week. That would be a way to keep the incubator level and get most of the benefits of turning, while saving a bit of your time in the later stages of incubation.

I don't know about you, but I find it easier to do something (like turning) when it feels new and exciting, and harder when the novelty wears off. Since turning matters more at the beginning, that fits nicely with my pattern of enjoying new things ;)
Thank you so much for your thoughts and so true about the last thing you said lol

Back
Top Bottom