Handling chickens.

marktoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
California's central valley
I'm curious, those of you whose chickens are more less, pets with benefits. Are you able to handle your birds at will?

We have 2 GLW & 2 SLW that we've had from day one. We chose Wyandottes because they were reputed to be docile, friendly, good layers, etc, etc. We have hand fed these girls snacks from a very early age. Handled them often until they began to shy away from our hands. Now coming up on 14 weeks, they still do not like to be touched. We can walk amongst them, sit with them, feed them by hand, etc, etc. but try to touch them & they're outta there. This is becoming a problem when we want to check each bird's condition. Which we probably aren't doing as often as we should cause it's such a pain. When we do handle them after inspection we hold them till they're quiet, place them down & don't release them till they're quiet. I really dislike having to corner them in order to pick them up. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions. Thanks!

If you handled them often as babies and they will eat from your hand, my experience is they do start to shy away BUT when they get to laying age you should be able to start handling them again. They will start to "squat" when you approach them the closer they get to laying age. When they squat you can pick them up.

So I guess there is hope,and here I was thinking everyone had chickens that would fly into their arms on command....everyone but us. Looking forward to those eggs & slower chickens. Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Also if you go and sit in the coup/run with your coffee and just sit quietly without trying to catch them, they will eventually approach you. And teenagers chicks, which yours are right now are a little flighty. They will settle down, especially if you don't have a rooster.

NOTE: if you do have a rooster, do not make a pet of it. It seems counter intuitive, but if you are too nice to a roo, they are not afraid of you. Fear equals respect in the chicken world, and roo often times will become VERY Dangerously aggressive if they are a pet.

Mrs K

I'm curious, those of you whose chickens are more less, pets with benefits. Are you able to handle your birds at will?

We have 2 GLW & 2 SLW that we've had from day one. We chose Wyandottes because they were reputed to be docile, friendly, good layers, etc, etc. We have hand fed these girls snacks from a very early age. Handled them often until they began to shy away from our hands. Now coming up on 14 weeks, they still do not like to be touched. We can walk amongst them, sit with them, feed them by hand, etc, etc. but try to touch them & they're outta there. This is becoming a problem when we want to check each bird's condition. Which we probably aren't doing as often as we should cause it's such a pain. When we do handle them after inspection we hold them till they're quiet, place them down & don't release them till they're quiet. I really dislike having to corner them in order to pick them up. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions. Thanks!

Ours are 6 months old and are the same as yours....haven't started laying yet so maybe there is hope!

Keep handling them. They go off you a bit in the 'teenage months' but tend to get back on track after then. All of ours, except one are cuddly friendly, and even she is coming round. :)

This is Annie when she was a bit younger, having a snooze. She would LOVE to be a house chicken and likes nothing more than a snuggle on the sofa
love.gif

Last edited:
Mrs. K - No Roo to our knowledge. We ordered all pullets, all of the combs & wattles are of the same size & color, so we're hoping they're pullets. Either my wife or I sit with them every evening feeding them mealy worms one by one. We'll keep working with them, sounds like they'll settle down. Thanks for your input.

Scott - Yep, sounds like we still got hope. Let me know how yours are doing after they start laying.

Rachy - We'll keep working with them. They don't seem to be afraid of us. They just don't seem to like to be touched....I'm kinda the same way actually. lol

My hens were all handled often from when they were a day old. We stroked and patted them and fed them treats. They still love to snuggle in my lap. They were all treated the same way, but they each received it differently. One hen responded very well and still runs up to me if I call her, while another one clucks indignantly if I try to touch her. I guess it just depends on the chicken's personality.

Back
Top Bottom