Handling... ?

Rime

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
Western Maine
I did a search and found a number of threads on this, but I'm still not sure of the detail.

We've got 8 Barred Rocks, a little over 3 weeks old. They are super active, running around, already able to jump out of their pen so had to put some hardware cloth over top. I cannot believe how vigorous these chicks are.

In any case, I've been checking their rears periodically to make sure no vents are clogged, and mostly they hate it. They don't like being picked up, cheap loudly and struggle. I've started feeding them meal worms by hand, and this has helped a lot. They now come running to my hand, instead of away from it, and some will let me slide my hand underneath their chests and gently lift them up. Others still hate that, and immediately jump off or struggle.

So for those who've done this before... do I just keep up the gentle lifting/treats? Do I push the ones that don't like it to accept handling, until they calm down? What is the best tactic here? I worry that I'm going to hurt a struggling chick as I try to hold it - they're shockingly strong.

Many thanks in advance!

Oi, you should've been handling them since they were a few days old. Keep doing what your doing, that is great!
big_smile.png
Try to pick them up and be around them as much as possible, so they can get used to you. Try to make them feel like you are their friend.
hugs.gif
But the main thing is that you should have been holding them a lot when they were younger. Children are usually good at this, as they hold them about 24/7!
lau.gif
Hope this helps.

@Rime , I think you are doing the right thing. You'll want them to associate you with good things so if you need to look them over in the future (say in case of injury or mite check), they won't fight you too much. Some of them may never learn to love it but they should be able to tolerate it.

Good to hear they are vigorous, that means they must be healthy.

It's best to start holding them asap. I started holding my chicks when I got them at acouple wk old. When you do hold them it's best to try an cup them an not let there wings flap as that will make them panic more. I started feeding mine treats an that helps each time I give them treats an pet them or hold them I make my own "call" an eventually they come running when I call them cause they associate my call with food. Also get down low so you don't look like a giant monster. Move slow around them so you don't spook them an get you a stool an hang out in coop they get use to you. That's every thing I been doing to get mine to be like pets.

Here's an exercise you can do to begin gaining your chicks' trust.

Sit down on the ground in the pen or room where you have them. Get comfortable. Let your chicks out for a romp, but don't attempt to touch them or hold them. Let them come to you. To spark their interest, have some meal worms in both hands. Open your hands and let the chicks see what you have. If they jump up and try to take all the worms, close you hands and make them work at getting to them.

But don't attempt to touch the chicks or handle them. If you keep your hands where the chicks can see them, and have interesting things in them that they like to eat, they will get to trust your hands. It may take a few days doing this, but eventually you can start stroking the chicks on the head at first, then on the ear and below the eye which are "feel good" spots.

By allowing the chicks access to all of you, they learn not to fear you, and eventually, they will trust your hands to hold them.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I did hold them from day 1, about once a day for the first two weeks actually. But it was very brief - just picking up, checking rears, then putting back down. I guess I should have invested more time in this! Beginner's mistake I'm sure.

I did spend quite a lot of time just observing them, so they're very comfortable with my presence. I'll be sure to continue spending time just with my hands/self in the pen, letting them get used to me and (hopefully) come to me on their own.

Do I need to keep checking rears each day at this point? No one has had a blocked vent since I cleaned a few up on day 1 weeks ago. If I can skip having to force picking them up each day, I think I can work up to that more slowly and pleasantly.

No need to check for pasty butt at this point. From here on, it will be changes in behavior that will alert you to problems.

Don't worry, it's never too late to start to tame chicks.

Back
Top Bottom