Hands on hatching and help

Are you saying you got 2 different orders of eggs at your home------What you mean---They are a Day apart?? Come in a day apart? Layed a day apart? You put one order in the incubator, then the next day you put the next order in???

Lol they were put in the incubators a day apart. They were purchased through different sellers and we're also delivered 1 day apart. They were purchased online the same day. Hope that helps some.

Something killed my broody hen so this is the first time I'm incubating eggs. But I have no idea what day this egg is on. Can anyone help? TIA!

Lol they were put in the incubators a day apart. They were purchased through different sellers and we're also delivered 1 day apart. They were purchased online the same day. Hope that helps some.

Yep that explain a lot---LOL. You know I got to have a question-------why didn't you wait till you got the others in the next day and set them together---so you would not have a "kinda" staggered hatch?? Curious

Yes I do. Before I go to bed at day 13 I do my last turn. At 2 weeks they don't need to be turned. According to the Cobb's development chart the chick turns to the big end of the egg day 14 (ish) so I started leaving them at rest at this point. I usually candling once a day, so you could say they get turned once a day when I candle, but that's it. I have found that with the exception of my daughter nn's eggs, which I've had trouble in general hatching, that I don't normally have malpositioned pippers any more. (Not that I ever had a big problem with malpos, usually managed one or two in a hatch nothing big.) I am not saying that not turning is or isn't the factor, but it matches my logic. I believe that the hen can feel the movement of the chicks when they turn and logic follows that they probably sit tight during this period. We can not tell when the chick is positioning to the big end, so letting them rest just makes sense to me. It definitely hasn't hurt my hatch rate as I continue to have healthy chicks, so there's no reason I would change the process.

Amy, I never read that book----well being honest I have never read any book on chickens/hatching/etc. That's a interesting thought!!! I am wondering if I stop turning on day 14---instead of day 18, 19 sometimes If I could increase my hatch Percentage???

Yep that explain a lot---LOL. You know I got to have a question-------why didn't you wait till you got the others in the next day and set them together---so you would not have a "kinda" staggered hatch?? Curious

I was seriously touched by the addiction lol. I bought 6 eggs. At this point I already had a small incubator. After reading up.some more I thought maybe I should order more incase only 1 chick hatches. Don't want it to be a loner lol. I ordered 6+. Then I was like how many is plus cause my incubator only holds 12 so I then ordered a 2nd incubator just in case lol. The first shipment came and their were 9 eggs so I knew they wouldn't all fit in the one incubator I had so I put those in the first and then when the next batch came I put those in the 2nd incubator lol. It holds 10 but I have 7 in there cause they threw in an extra egg. Now both are small cheap incubators cause I didn't know how obsessed I would become with it lol my wonderful husband let me purchase a more expensive better quality incubator since these ones are not working well at all and this means so much to me haha.. :p

Back
Top Bottom