Hands on hatching and help

Holy smokes!  I've been so wrapped up in Kendra and her surgery that I totally forgot to go out and take some shots of the Silkies in with the big chicks!  Doggone it, remind me and I'll go out and do that in the morning.  I am so doggone pleased with how well they've done!  Was it just last month that I didn't know what I would do with Silkies?  Well, now I know - I'm gonna enjoy every fuzzy one of them!  And Katie is totally in love!

Blooie, how did the surgery go? Is everything ok? :hugs

Last edited:
Holy smokes!  I've been so wrapped up in Kendra and her surgery that I totally forgot to go out and take some shots of the Silkies in with the big chicks!  Doggone it, remind me and I'll go out and do that in the morning.  I am so doggone pleased with how well they've done!  Was it just last month that I didn't know what I would do with Silkies?  Well, now I know - I'm gonna enjoy every fuzzy one of them!  And Katie is totally in love!

Oh I love silkies. They are just the sweetest things.. :)

If I get bad air cells (which 9 out of 10 times I do) I put them in little cut down cartons and once I set them I leave them unturned for 24 hours. Then on day 2 I gently tilt them at a 45 degree angle 5 x day. I never use automatic turners with shipped eggs. I bet your eggs are going to do great!!
smile.png

Here's some pics...

Oh my goodness! What a cutie! But that would have startled me!! Did you figure out the no notifications yet?
Ducks are so fun as babies!
No, I think I am going to pm a mod and ask if they can figure it out. I hate not getting my notifications.

Holy smokes! I've been so wrapped up in Kendra and her surgery that I totally forgot to go out and take some shots of the Silkies in with the big chicks! Doggone it, remind me and I'll go out and do that in the morning. I am so doggone pleased with how well they've done! Was it just last month that I didn't know what I would do with Silkies? Well, now I know - I'm gonna enjoy every fuzzy one of them! And Katie is totally in love!
Don't forget to get some pics @Blooie . I was going to ask how Katie liked them yesterday when you were talking about Kendra, but I got sidetracked. That's great!

I am so glad I found this thread!! I am going through my first hatch - 5 guinea hens eggs. The first two hatched no problem. The next two pipped, started to zip, then stalled for hours. I couldn't help myself, I knew they needed help! Sadly the one had died, but it was malformed. The other one looked like she was malpositioned and just couldn't get traction. She's currently resting in the incubator. I'm waiting for her too dry off and the last bits to fall off. I'm praying she makes it! I felt sick to my stomach the whole time, but she kept cheeping, cheering me on!

I was feeling guilty about helping b/c of reading all the "don't touch!!" Comments. Glad to know I'm not the only one who helps!

Last edited:
Blooie, how did the surgery go? Is everything ok?
hugs.gif
She has already been discharged! Can you believe it? Wednesday morning they told the kids that she'd be in the hospital for between 5-7 days. She was discharged from the hospital 48 hours to the minute! Even her doctors are amazed! There are a lot of updates and photos on this thread, starting on this page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935165/raising-chickens-and-special-needs-kids/130

I didn't think it was fair to hijack a lot of other threads with updates and was too lazy to keep retyping everything so I thought I'd just post everything in one spot. Then just the people who were interested could follow along. Kendra spent the night in the hotel with Mom and Dad instead of in the hospital. They'll stay in Denver for a few more days so Kendra is close to the hospital. The kids will take her up to the urology floor daily to have her incisions checked, and then on Monday she'll have a final thorough checkup in clinic. Looks like they'll head for home on Tuesday at the earliest, most likely Wednesday. Thanks for asking!

I am so glad I found this thread!! I am going through my first hatch - 5 guinea hens eggs. The first two hatched no problem. The next two pipped, started to zip, then stalled for hours. I couldn't help myself, I knew they needed help! Sadly the one had died, but it was malformed. The other one looked like she was malpositioned and just couldn't get traction. She's currently resting in the incubator. I'm waiting for her too dry off and the last bits to fall off. I'm praying she makes it! I felt sick to my stomach the whole time, but she kept cheeping, cheering me on!

I was feeling guilty about helping b/c of reading all the "don't touch!!" Comments. Glad to know I'm not the only one who helps!

Sounds like you made the right decision. Congrats on the new baby's and welcome. :)

Welcome to the thread!!! There are many of us that don't utilize the Hands OFF philosophy.
fl.gif
for your baby!!

She has already been discharged! Can you believe it? Wednesday morning they told the kids that she'd be in the hospital for between 5-7 days. She was discharged from the hospital 48 hours to the minute! Even her doctors are amazed! There are a lot of updates and photos on this thread, starting on this page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935165/raising-chickens-and-special-needs-kids/130

I didn't think it was fair to hijack a lot of other threads with updates and was too lazy to keep retyping everything so I thought I'd just post everything in one spot. Then just the people who were interested could follow along. Kendra spent the night in the hotel with Mom and Dad instead of in the hospital. They'll stay in Denver for a few more days so Kendra is close to the hospital. The kids will take her up to the urology floor daily to have her incisions checked, and then on Monday she'll have a final thorough checkup in clinic. Looks like they'll head for home on Tuesday at the earliest, most likely Wednesday. Thanks for asking!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you everyone! As he was drying I saw a lot of membrane was still stuck to its head and one wing, so i got as much off as I could w/a warm washcloth, then popped him back in the incubator to finish drying. He was cheeping and fighting the whole time, my little fighter!

I think one of his wings may be deformed
1f641.png
But since I only have arm myself, I'm rooting for my little guy!

Back
Top Bottom