Hands on hatching and help

:hugs was this one sticky at hatch due to low humidity?

She had one sticky patch on her back, but other than that she fluffed out normal. She was the backwards zipper that I had to help all the way out of the shell.

She took four hours from zipping to out! When I took off half the shell, she didn't kick like you would expect her to, which was strange.
-Banti

Is it better to set the chicks later and have them hatch together or just move the chicks to their own incubator at hatch time? Thanks.
smile.png
People do it successfully all the time. I don't do duck eggs, I don't know if I'd say "better or not". I would think it would depend on how much of a size difference there was. A good size set of standard eggs I would think would be perfectly fine incubating together with the ducks, however I wouldn't try incubating both duck and smaller.,especially bantam sized eggs together because of the difference of rate of moisture loss. But, if you are going to incubate them together, I would set them so that they are hatching at the same time.

This is the only chick to hatch! I'm leaving the other eggs for a few more days, but I moved her to a box with a heat lamp. I showed her the water and dipped her beak, and her crumbles (she nodded off in those).... But I'm worried she won't pick up on things being an only. Any tips? She's sleeping in my daughter's slipper- the only way we could quiet her.
I raised an only chick and the challenge wasn't the chick learning to do things for himself, the challenge was him being by himself. A only chick can be a lonely chick and a lonely chick can be a very LOUD chick...lol Needless to say, he was out with us a good share of the day and I had to move his brooder cage beside m bed so I could get sleep at night. You can put a small mirror and a small stuffed toy in there as "company", but these didn't help with me. The best advice I can give is to see if you can pick up a couple friends his age to put in with him and keep him company.

Ok guys day 9/10 and my eggs don't look like they are developing enough. 4 of them had decent sized chicks moving around. The others had major veining but I couldn't see a chick. What does this mean? Could the temp spike in the other incubator have killed them. I hope not. I really hope it was because they were shipped. I'd feel awful if it's my fault..
sad.png
As long as you see veining that's the main thing. Sometimes you can't see the growth as well because the little embryo is in the middle of the egg and not out against the shell as it is in the first week.

Well, the chick I posted about a few days ago died last night.
hit.gif

It was doing so great!
-Banti
Sorry to hear that!

This is exactly what I was thinking!
It's really the veining that is important to see at this point. Each egg and each breed will develop at its own rate. And depending on each shell's color and thickness it can be hard to spot the chicks. I think as long as you are seeing good, healthy veining then it should be ok. :fl

Dear lord I hope soo. I've got so much into this.. emotionally I mean lol..

People do it successfully all the time. I don't do duck eggs, I don't know if I'd say "better or not". I would think it would depend on how much of a size difference there was. A good size set of standard eggs I would think would be perfectly fine incubating together with the ducks, however I wouldn't try incubating both duck and smaller.,especially bantam sized eggs together because of the difference of rate of moisture loss. But, if you are going to incubate them together, I would set them so that they are hatching at the same time. 

I raised an only chick and the challenge wasn't the chick learning to do things for himself, the challenge was him being by himself. A only chick can be a lonely chick and a lonely chick can be a very LOUD chick...lol  Needless to say, he was out with us a good share of the day and I had to move his brooder cage beside m bed so I could get sleep at night. You can put a small mirror and a small stuffed toy in there as "company", but these didn't help with me. The best advice I can give is to see if you can pick up a couple friends his age to put in with him and keep him company.

As long as you see veining that's the main thing. Sometimes you can't see the growth as well because the little embryo is in the middle of the egg and not out against the shell as it is in the first week.

Sorry to hear that!

Ahhhh not what I wanted to hear. :( I was hoping I could set 6 duck eggs and 6 silkie eggs. I can put them.in seperate incubators if I need to but I really wanted them to both go in the brinsea cause its such better quality and it has the automatic turner. I figured because of the size difference letting them hatch together would be an issue. In my book it sais bantam eggs need more humidity and it said the same for duck eggs. That's why I thought they would be ok in the same incubator?

I have an egg which piped and hours later it started zipping. Its made a decent hole and zipped less than quarter of egg. Hes made no progress in 10 hours. Should i help him progress the zip a small amount to assist? Any suggestions. Ive read the assisted hatch article.

Ahhhh not what I wanted to hear.
sad.png
I was hoping I could set 6 duck eggs and 6 silkie eggs. I can put them.in seperate incubators if I need to but I really wanted them to both go in the brinsea cause its such better quality and it has the automatic turner. I figured because of the size difference letting them hatch together would be an issue. In my book it sais bantam eggs need more humidity and it said the same for duck eggs. That's why I thought they would be ok in the same incubator?
Most people -around here anyway, incubate duck eggs just like their chicken eggs, mostly prefering the low humidity incubation, I do believe. The ducky people will hopefully chime in. The silkie eggs I did I had to run a higher humidity with to keep from the air cells growing too big. Personally, I would not set duck eggs with silkies if the silkie eggs are anywhere near the size of the ones I got from Ruby. You'd end up with either sticky ducklings from not enough moisture loss or dry silkies from too much, I made the mistake of throwing 4 of my very large green eggs in with the silkies and almost lost 2 because of not enough moisture loss. I saved one that managed to pip at the bottom all the way through but the other drowned.

I have an egg which piped and hours later it started zipping. Its made a decent hole and zipped less than quarter of egg. Hes made no progress in 10 hours. Should i help him progress the zip a small amount to assist? Any suggestions. Ive read the assisted hatch article.
If it were me I would pull it out and check on it and probably finish zipping around the egg for it. (Unless of course there were prominent veining or unabsorbed yolk.)

Most people -around here anyway, incubate duck eggs just like their chicken eggs, mostly prefering the low humidity incubation, I do believe. The ducky people will hopefully chime in. The silkie eggs I did I had to run a higher humidity with to keep from the air cells growing too big. Personally,  I would not set duck eggs with silkies if the silkie eggs are anywhere near the size of the ones I got from Ruby. You'd end up with either sticky ducklings from not enough moisture loss or dry silkies from too much,   I made the mistake of throwing 4 of my very large green eggs in with the silkies and almost lost 2 because of not enough moisture loss. I saved one that managed to pip at the bottom all the way through but the other drowned.

If it were me I would pull it out and check on it and probably finish zipping around the egg for it. (Unless of course there were prominent veining or unabsorbed yolk.)

Maybe I should just incubate the silkie eggs alone then? I've wanted silkies forever so I'm praying Adleast a few hatch. I only got 6 eggs though.. :(

Maybe I should just incubate the silkie eggs alone then? I've wanted silkies forever so I'm praying Adleast a few hatch. I only got 6 eggs though..
sad.png
I will always do my silkie eggs separately. That way I can adjust for them w/o jepordizing others. But that's me. Now the pet quality silkies I have that my sister is supposed to take are more normal sized eggs and those I would incubate with the others with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom