Hands on hatching and help

Hey guys I just checked on little chick. The veins had receded in the exposed membrane but not under the shell so we are still waiting. I noticed that the membrane was thick and water filled like jelly. Is my humidity to high? Usually the membrane is thin. Never seen it like this before...

Hey guys I just checked on little chick. The veins had receded in the exposed membrane but not under the shell so we are still waiting. I noticed that the membrane was thick and water filled like jelly. Is my humidity to high? Usually the membrane is thin. Never seen it like this before...

If that is the only one like it, than I would say no, your humidity isn't too high... just for some reason it didn't lose enough moisture... it happens, that's why rule of thumb for adjusting humidity is to go by majority... some shells are thicker, some more porous and some have thicker coating of pigment and/or bloom that might impede (or accelerate) moisture loss..

If that is the only one like it, than I would say no, your humidity isn't too high... just for some reason it didn't lose enough moisture... it happens, that's why rule of thumb for adjusting humidity is to go by majority... some shells are thicker, some more porous and some have thicker coating of pigment and/or bloom that might impede (or accelerate) moisture loss..

Aww ok. Yeah none of the others were like that. They all hatched yesterday on day 22 though. We are on day 22 and this one has been having issues from the get go...

Well I just checked on it and it looks like it didn't make it. :( I put it back in the incubator just in case. It's only been a couple hours since I checked on it. I just wish I could have saved it..
Yes. ...Sigh I know how you feel. But many I did save died a few days later. All but one cutie. So sorry.

So...

day 7 I candle the eggs and look for proper air sack and fertilization right?

Is there a formula to follow for this? Like how do I know it's an egg is not fertilize or going to make it?

Also where is the link to how the air sacs should look? I can't find it.

Thanks all. Friday is day 7.

Yes. ...Sigh I know how you feel. But many I did save died a few days later. All but one cutie. So sorry.

Thanks. I think it was a slim chance anyways. It's still disappointing.. :(

So...

Is there a formula to follow for this? Like how do I know it's an egg is not fertilize or going to make it?

On day 7 I candle and look for veining or any sign of fertilization. I watch for blood rings, cloudy eggs or yokers. I'll usually leave those in till day 14 just to make sure then I take them out. :)

Well I just checked on it and it looks like it didn't make it. :( I put it back in the incubator just in case. It's only been a couple hours since I checked on it. I just wish I could have saved it..

Aww, I'm sorry that stinks. There was probably a lot more going on that can't be seen by the eye. I'm curious to see if it even absorbed the yolk. Are you gonna pull it from the shell?

So...

I usually look for lots of healthy veining. Your air cells may not be firm by day 7 but if they are then that's a good sign. Did you calibrate a seperate thermometer and hygrometer?

Aww, I'm sorry that stinks. There was probably a lot more going on that can't be seen by the eye. I'm curious to see if it even absorbed the yolk. Are you gonna pull it from the shell?
I usually look for lots of healthy veining. Your air cells may not be firm by day 7 but if they are then that's a good sign. Did you calibrate a seperate thermometer and hygrometer?

I pulled it from the shell. It's yolk was absorbed. It's belly button wasn't healed though and it looked like it may have been infected...

Back
Top Bottom