Hands on hatching and help

Hey Amy, I was just checking on the air sacks on my 6 eggs that are goin into lockdown Monday and decided one of my ancona eggs on day 16 looked dead. There were no veins on the egg's shell and the inside was dark and cloudy. I could see black blotches that were probably parts of the embryo. The shell itself had 2 dark blemishes that started up on it as well. After candling it for a couple minutes, searching for signs of movement or veins and finding only a dark cloud sloshing around inside half of the egg I decided to call it and removed it. I cracked it only to find a fairly well developed embryo and a bunch of veins inside the yolk that I was unable to see when candling. It didn't move but I thought I could see its chest move up n down ever so slightly a couple times even though my wife said I was crazy. Could that chick still have hatched or once the veins recede from the shell linings is it a goner? I hate to think I killed a chick but I don't wanna do it again if I did screw up and pull it too soon. I've been watching this particular egg for bout a week now and finally decided to call it before it built up a bunch of bacteria.
I know it's easy to say don't feel bad but hatching is a huge learning experience! And at the rate you're going you will be a pro in no time. You went with your gut, made a educated decision and added it all in to your knowledge and experience! If it was sloshing in the egg then it was totally dead! Sloshing is a huge flag that it's gone. Healthy embryos move around but they are very attached to the veins and inside of the egg. Receeding veins is another big flag. I had one slip by me and make it to lockdown because the embryo was super tiny but the veins were great so I left it. Haven't cracked it open yet, it's still in there. Now that one I'm perplexed about.
Ducks sure do get "mushy duckling", got some pictures if anyone wants to see. -Kathy
Amy beat me to it. Yes, post pics, I'd like to see what it looks like.
So when they hit that "ugly stage" I bet that looked so funny... LOL, I can only imagine. hahaha when my silkies would hit the ugly stage, OMG, I laugh at them all the time.. First thought is OH MY GOD, what am I going to do with you, no one is going to want you. But the end results is usually a keeper..
X2! The ugly stage with silkies is terrible!! :lau
[COLOR=333333]Found an egg outside with a huge hole in it, so I decided to crack it open and this is what I found:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Nice and healthy looking.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]
This was a chicken egg?

Ok, day 3 has begun. All 9 of the Spitzhauben eggs are developing. They are more on target time wise. Here's a couple pics:

There's at least one spitzhauben egg that looks a little weaker than the others, but we'll see.

Now for the silkies, I don't know exactly how many, but I can see development in a good portion. Most of them are more on track with the timeline, 2 or three are more advanced. Couldn't get a great pic, but I tried with one of the advanced developments:

It's more impressive in person...lol
There are 4 silkie eggs, that I have ear marked for "don't think they will development". A couple iffies. The rest have promise at this point.

Incubator isn't running as steady as I'd like. Having to monitor it closely, but nothing too major so far. Can't wait to see how these slkie eggs do.

After seeing that pic of a healthy embryo I feel a lot better. The egg I removed and broke open definitely had veins that were breaking down and thick black veins in it. Plus, the back end of it had not developed and the legs were not even there. Don't know if you guys could see that closely from the pic or not but it had definitely not formed right. Thanks for the picks and the help everyone!!!! I'll let you know what happens in a few days!!!

After seeing that pic of a healthy embryo I feel a lot better. The egg I removed and broke open definitely had veins that were breaking down and thick black veins in it. Plus, the back end of it had not developed and the legs were not even there. Don't know if you guys could see that closely from the pic or not but it had definitely not formed right. Thanks for the picks and the help everyone!!!! I'll let you know what happens in a few days!!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Ruby. I never thought there was sooo much to learn about hatching eggs in an incubator but wow was I wrong. I can read stuff on BYC from you pros and learn new stuff all day long about hatching. Can't wait to see all the hard work and research pay off and finally find some ducklings chirping up at me in the incubator, lol.

Ok, day 3 has begun. All 9 of the Spitzhauben eggs are developing. They are more on target time wise. Here's a couple pics: There's at least one spitzhauben egg that looks a little weaker than the others, but we'll see. Now for the silkies, I don't know exactly how many, but I can see development in a good portion. Most of them are more on track with the timeline, 2 or three are more advanced. Couldn't get a great pic, but I tried with one of the advanced developments: It's more impressive in person...lol There are 4 silkie eggs, that I have ear marked for "don't think they will development". A couple iffies. The rest have promise at this point. Incubator isn't running as steady as I'd like. Having to monitor it closely, but nothing too major so far. Can't wait to see how these slkie eggs do.
Amazing pics..really glad you guys shared them!

Here is one of my eggs that is past due. I can't really tell much, but I thought it is worth a try. Maybe someone can show me something I'm missing.

Ok, day 3 has begun. All 9 of the Spitzhauben eggs are developing. They are more on target time wise. Here's a couple pics: There's at least one spitzhauben egg that looks a little weaker than the others, but we'll see. Now for the silkies, I don't know exactly how many, but I can see development in a good portion. Most of them are more on track with the timeline, 2 or three are more advanced. Couldn't get a great pic, but I tried with one of the advanced developments: It's more impressive in person...lol There are 4 silkie eggs, that I have ear marked for "don't think they will development". A couple iffies. The rest have promise at this point. Incubator isn't running as steady as I'd like. Having to monitor it closely, but nothing too major so far. Can't wait to see how these slkie eggs do.
That's great, Amy! Love candling pics! And they are shipped! I should have shaken them up a little so you could see what real shipped eggs look like!! ;) (I'm just kidding!!)!!
Thanks Ruby. I never thought there was sooo much to learn about hatching eggs in an incubator but wow was I wrong. I can read stuff on BYC from you pros and learn new stuff all day long about hatching. Can't wait to see all the hard work and research pay off and finally find some ducklings chirping up at me in the incubator, lol.
Hatch day is going to be amazing!! You're going to love it!! It will all pay off when you see those ducklings make their grand entrance!
Here is one of my eggs that is past due. I can't really tell much, but I thought it is worth a try. Maybe someone can show me something I'm missing.
What breed is this? And how far past due? How were your temps throughout incubation? It doesn't look like it's ready to internally pip yet. I can't tell if it's still alive or not, though.

It is an americauna. It's a day past due and the temp has been an average of 100 degrees Fahrenheit

[COLOR=333333]Found an egg outside with a huge hole in it, so I decided to crack it open and this is what I found:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Nice and healthy looking.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]
so, what day is this duckling? looks like day 8 (im guessing?) or there abouts, to me?? very cool picture. the eye looks fully formed, i can see the iris and the pupil, very cool. God is amazing... thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom