Hands on hatching and help

I only make a tiny safety hole if I know that the chick has been internally pipped for over 24 hours. As the chick looses oxygen the co2 inside the shell builds up, it causes the chicks neck to spasm and pip the outter shell. So it's a very specific process.
I just set 2 dozen plus silkie eggs on Friday night!! Good luck!!

We should be hatching around the same time!

I only make a tiny safety hole if I know that the chick has been internally pipped for over 24 hours. As the chick looses oxygen the co2 inside the shell builds up, it causes the chicks neck to spasm and pip the outter shell. So it's a very specific process.
I just set 2 dozen plus silkie eggs on Friday night!! Good luck!!

Thanks, I left it alone, this morning I went check it and it's about half way zipped already, I just worries yo soon I guess. Thanks

Hello everybody I am having a similar issue as portagee. We have had 6 hatch so far and have been moved out of the bator. We have 2 eggs in the incubator now that are shaking like the chicks are trying to come out but just can't. I want to poke a hole for them but I don't know how you can tell if they have internally pipped. This is our first time hatching eggs. Thanks for any info and help

Thanks, I left it alone, this morning I went check it and it's about half way zipped already, I just worries yo soon I guess. Thanks

I know what you mean! After hatching non-stop this year, I've learned that most of them just have their own time frame and will do ok if left to their own devices. But, obviously there are times where you have to intervene. It takes a lot of patience. Lol.

Hello everybody I am having a similar issue as portagee. We have had 6 hatch so far and have been moved out of the bator. We have 2 eggs in the incubator now that are shaking like the chicks are trying to come out but just can't. I want to poke a hole for them but I don't know how you can tell if they have internally pipped. This is our first time hatching eggs. Thanks for any info and help

If they are shaking then they are probably getting ready to internally pip. I have to ask, were these local eggs or shipped eggs? If you do not have any external pips you can go ahead and gently candle the eggs. You might not even have to candle. If they are pipped internally the egg will feel lighter and you can usually hear them peeping if you tap your finger nail on the air cell. If you don't hear anything take a peek with your flashlight and let us know what you see! It's best not to create a safety hole unless you absolutely have too.

I know what you mean! After hatching non-stop this year, I've learned that most of them just have their own time frame and will do ok if left to their own devices. But, obviously there are times where you have to intervene. It takes a lot of patience. Lol.
If they are shaking then they are probably getting ready to internally pip. I have to ask, were these local eggs or shipped eggs? If you do not have any external pips you can go ahead and gently candle the eggs. You might not even have to candle. If they are pipped internally the egg will feel lighter and you can usually hear them peeping if you tap your finger nail on the air cell. If you don't hear anything take a peek with your flashlight and let us know what you see! It's best not to create a safety hole unless you absolutely have too.
xs 2

Thank you Ruby. They are a mix of ours and some we ordered. We are on day 23 now. Can't hear any peeping from them. Might try to candle later tonight after all my farm work is done. What if they stop shaking all together and no pip is present. I've had one of ours do that also.

I am never hatching ducks.....lol
I feel the same way!!!
But... why not??? Can't sit on your hands that long? :D ;)
Hahahahahah!!!!
I'll leave the ducks to you duck people...lol
Ditto!
The blackish ones....and boy is it hard to get good pics of the blacks! (As you can see..lol) That's all 12 of the silkie eggs that hatched!!! I'm so happy with them. These are the others: My naked neck and her sister (from my first nn) Sister, (ok, so I'm I'm hoping girls) is not nn. This would technically be the two aboves niece/nephew. This was the malpositioned from the green egg that also was not nn So I grabbed 3 out of 7 Spitzhaubens, cause frankly, they all look alike...close to it anyway... And I conclude today's mass picture uploading. :D
So.....I am totally digging the pink and purple castle. Lol!!! :lau
From shipped Call eggs... started with 30 eggs... 22 eggs made it to lockdown, 18 hatched but 2 didn't survive... 16 healthy Call babies (1 not pictured)...
This one came from the smallest Call egg I have ever hatched, 35g egg... 20g little 'ling... :)
:love. Cute!!!!
Oh my goodness! I am so in love!! This little guy is imprinting already. He is so happy when he's out and with us. Otherwise he paces the brooder. I put him on the bed and he tries to jump up on me and nibbles at me and preens himself. He's going to be spoile rotten!!
Thank you for the advice. I'm tempted to let him sleep with me but then I know I'll never get him out of the bed!! Good luck on the eggs. I hope the all level out. How are your air cells? Do you measure them each week? And where are you getting your numbers for humidity? You can't really pick one number but rather monitor the air cells closely and adjust so that they are growing properly. Are your hygrometers calibrated?
That's going to be your pet duckling and now you are going to have to buy duck diapers!!!
I had one pip in the exact center of the fat end of the egg. Was sure I was going to have to assist, but then it finally started slowly zipping down the egg then turned to make an oval opening mostly on the side of the egg. It finally pushed itself out. Strangest zip ever, but the chick was fine.
Wow!!!! That's great!

Day 18 is tomorrow!!!! So after jury duty I will be locking down! I can't wait. It looks like Iight have lost another or will lose another. Funky development in the egg. Lots of clear space but can still see blood vessels and movement. So....I might be locking down 14 eggs total. ;)

How many are you waiting for??

Sorry for delay in reply. There was four at hatch time. Two hatched. One piped&zipped. Fourth never internally piped. There's a clear piece that should have stayed stapled to temp cord. A rowdy hatchling must have ripped it off,because after the incident we found the clear square in far corner of incubater. The temp cord slipped into water in wells&temp must have overheated them. The poor last chick was scorched on bottom. Membranes&all. The zipped one never fully got out. First two that hatched have been getting stronger. Assisting in water&food. (we are taking turns with them) today's the first time both could stand on their own.
That's where we are at.

Back
Top Bottom