Hands on hatching and help

Ok I just candled them. They looked somewhere between day 3 and day 5 of amylynns picture. I'm so excited. Almost all of them showed veining. The only ones I couldn't see were the dark brown and green ones.
smile.png

Mine tend to be a little advanced on teh average because my bator runs a tad warm during incubation. If you wan's some good pics for comaparison during the first 18 days check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation
Hey so I was looking at my incubator and I was having a temp spike of 38.1 celsius. That's about 101 to 102 f. I take the lid off and it goes down to about 36 celsius, 98 degrees. What should I do to cool off the incubator? I have the lid off right now...
Check your humidity. When I am using water in my bator my temp starts rising as my humidity dries up. Once I get my humidity back where it needs to be (for me that is usually around 30%) it evens back out. If not that you might want to adjust down a tad to get it to even back out lower.

I just wanted to bump this to the top again. I think this is an important topic and needs to be seen for those out there looking for help. I am a helper for sure but think people often help too early. I "honk" it's important to note that the majority of all hatches will go off without issue. It's really a very small number that truly need assistance. BUT for those few out there that do I think it is important to have correct information. When to act, when to stop, pros and cons, etc. I am glad to see there are people on this thread with experience. :jumpy

Honk. Lol :D :p

Hey so I was looking at my incubator and I was having a temp spike of 38.1 celsius. That's about 101 to 102 f. I take the lid off and it goes down to about 36 celsius, 98 degrees. What should I do to cool off the incubator? I have the lid off right now...

Ok so put the lid back on and just left it cracked a bit. Humidity is at 40 percent and the temp is stabilized at 37.8. Whew. It's only going to get hotter here. Suggestions on preventing temp spikes in a hot climate?

I Have to agree with leaving the lid on but cracked open a little, I have the same problem with my homemade incubator, but I stabilized it by putting a pencil between the lid and the incubator.
'Edited to add': I live in Texas, so at least a half inch to an inch of an opening between the lid and incubator should help stabilize it. Start with a half inch. If it rises higher add 1/3 if an inch.

Last edited:
Mine tend to be a little advanced on teh average because my bator runs a tad warm during incubation. If you wan's some good pics for comaparison during the first 18 days check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation
Check your humidity. When I am using water in my bator my temp starts rising as my humidity dries up. Once I get my humidity back where it needs to be (for me that is usually around 30%) it evens back out.  If not that you might want to adjust down a tad to get it to even back out lower.

Thanks for the pics I will look through all of them lol. My humidity is good and I already lowered the temp but it wouldn't stay low. Cracking the lid has helped. It's at 40 percent humidity and 37 celsius. :)

Our temps here outside of the incubator are almost 100 degrees. Low humidity though. When I open the incubator the temps didn't even change lol made me feel a little better. I had to pick them up because I have 2 mini incubators. I can't fit the light in the incubator right lol. :) I was very happy that so far all of them showed growth. I'd be so happy if they all hatched even though I know that's unlikely.. :)

That's excellent for shipped eggs! Were the air cells jiggly? Did they firm up?

We've been a 100 degrees, here in NY the last couple days. My new styro went up to 101.5, but like Amy said my water had all dried up. I added water and now it's sitting at 98.8. I waited a few hours and am slowly adjusting it up. We've got the AC's running though. My only concern would be going to bed. You might want to try adjusting it downs little a few hours before you have to go to bed so you can stabilize it. Are there any vent plugs you can remove? Probably not in the mini's, right?

Yes, I do. Now (with several hatched) it is reading 73%, which I can believe..... it is 64% outside right now, was lower yesterday, when this un pipped. It just seems like the LG isn't holding humidity! I hadn't even opened the bator until a few had hatched (and sat on the soggy papertowels :lol:) so I don't think that is a problem???
Okay
Okay! Doesn't seem too sticky now. :fl

Are you adding hot water? Warm water vs cool makes a diff n the humidity jump... Glad your little is still kickin.

:frow hello all, just wanted to ad that trouble shoot but Ima get n bed now.

That's excellent for shipped eggs! Were the air cells jiggly? Did they firm up?
We've been a 100 degrees, here in NY the last couple days. My new styro went up to 101.5, but like Amy said my water had all dried up. I added water and now it's sitting at 98.8. I waited a few hours and am slowly adjusting it up. We've got the AC's running though. My only concern would be going to bed. You might want to try adjusting it downs little a few hours before you have to go to bed so you can stabilize it. Are there any vent plugs you can remove? Probably not in the mini's, right?

Their was one egg I suspect may have a jiggly air cell but nothing confirmed yet. Unfortunately the incubator I have is supposed to be all auto. Not much I can do with it. I took the turner out because it didn't seem to be working. It holds the humidity really well. I always put cold water in with the heat wave we have been having.

Their was one egg I suspect may have a jiggly air cell but nothing confirmed yet. Unfortunately the incubator I have is supposed to be all auto. Not much I can do with it. I took the turner out because it didn't seem to be working. It holds the humidity really well. I always put cold water in with the heat wave we have been having.

Also we don't run the air.conditioner until we have too. It runs our bill up hundreds of dollars cause our system is so old..

Back
Top Bottom