Hands on hatching and help

[quote name="RubyNala97"
Are these shipped eggs?[/quote]

No, they're from my chickens. I just did eggtopsies, and 3 of them locked like they died at the very end, but I think maybe they had bacterial infections? One had a green yolk, one had a brown yolk (that had also ruptured), and the other had black veins on the yolk.

So not drinking is normal and not moving?

Some, would just stand for a day or so. I have lost a couple---most of mine were old English game----that want to fight sometimes----if a hen starts bleeding---all will peck it to death if not removed from the pen. Its not important for a hurt hen to drink or eat for some time. Good Luck

OK, with the heating pad--I would turn it on just before needed---meaning before you would need to readjust the thermostat. The little added heat should keep it up where the internal thermostat still controls the heat, BUT keep a eye on it till you feel its working properly keeping the heat steady. I am sure you know the new heating pads cut off in a hour or two
Ok of course tonight its at 99.8 as of right now :gig this thing is stressing me out and its only the end of day 4!! I will be up for a little bit yet so will keep an eye and have heating pad at least plugged in just in case! Thank you! I do have one of the old ones so it should stay on all night! Just the low setting correct?

Ok of course tonight its at 99.8 as of right now
gig.gif
this thing is stressing me out and its only the end of day 4!! I will be up for a little bit yet so will keep an eye and have heating pad at least plugged in just in case! Thank you! I do have one of the old ones so it should stay on all night! Just the low setting correct?

You are just wanting to add a little heat---then the internal thermostat should keep it from going to high-----the heating pad is to keep it from going to low----keep a little space between the bottom of the incubator and the heating pad------not much but enough that air can still flow through the small vent holes----that you probably got in the bottom.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind being wrong in this instance, trust me....lol But they are all so gorgeous! Especially the grays and blacks. The blacks are actually really black and much pretty in person than on my cam. My cam makes black look off.

I'm so glad you are happy with them!

My rosecomb was attacked and scalped by another hen. She is hardly moving and won't drink or eat. Sigh. Tears....

I blue coated her and separated her and she seems comfy but won't move either. So sad.

Glad you had the blue kote. I've read somewhere that you gave give them pain medicine. Metacam is for animals but if you don't have that I think you can give asprin??? I would do a google or BYC search since she's not eating or drinking.

[quote name="RubyNala97"
Are these shipped eggs?

No, they're from my chickens. I just did eggtopsies, and 3 of them locked like they died at the very end, but I think maybe they had bacterial infections? One had a green yolk, one had a brown yolk (that had also ruptured), and the other had black veins on the yolk.[/quote]
Yeah, that's not normal. How were your temps through incubation?

You are just wanting to add a little heat---then the internal thermostat should keep it from going to high-----the heating pad is to keep it from going to low----keep a little space between the bottom of the incubator and the heating pad------not much but enough that air can still flow through the small vent holes----that you probably got in the bottom.
[/quote I do have vent holes in the bottom so I will do exactly as instructed! How low is too low and for how long? I'm afraid its going to kill these poor babies!

You should only need the extra heat at the times you said your inside temp was dropping below 99.5----so if that is at night---I would let it run all night----but Again you need to monitor it close to start to make sure its staying steady. To be clear---adjust the thermostat so your incubator temp is right and steady during the day----when your nights cool down DON"T readjust the thermostat, just turn on the heating pad.

Let me tell you a way I have done and it works Good---I have used a card board box some bigger(a few inches wider so its not tight) than the incubator and a little taller. I cut a vent hole about 1" on 2 sides at the bottom and on the other 2 sides right at the top. I have set this over the incubator on cool nights and it worked good----No heating pad or extra heat. I used a thermometer with a wire probe----putting the wire probe inside the incubator so I can read the temp on the outside without moving the box.

Last edited:
So, I couldn't get the "kids" outside today, but I had to clean out the pens and wash dishes, so I decided to take pics anyway. I still plan on getting some outside with all of them- spitz and the 3 mixes too, but I couldn't wait to take some pics so here are the 12 babies hatched from Ruby's eggs: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 (my fav)
They're adorable! Love the paints. You've got yourself a cute little assistant in those pics too!
1f604.png
Ok its only at night when the house cools off then its steady all day long? Do you think the rice will last all night?
I would think the rice would start to cool off after a few hours but maybe if you can put the incubator in a closet or smaller area where the ambient temp might not fluctuate as much, it could help keep it a little more stable through the night.
My rosecomb was attacked and scalped by another hen. She is hardly moving and won't drink or eat. Sigh. Tears.... I blue coated her and separated her and she seems comfy but won't move either. So sad.
So sorry about your hen- I hope she heals up quickly for you. I had a hen who was attacked last month (she was in an isolation pen and when I opened it to treat her wing, one of the alpha hens bolted in and violently attacked her). She didnt eat or drink for a couple of days and we weren't sure she would make it, but is totally healed up now :) You just want to keep doing what you're doing- taking good care of her wounds and separating her. I used Vetracin spray on my hen since she also had facial injuries. It's a little pricey, but well worth it imho.

Back
Top Bottom