Hands on hatching and help

Did you happen to wipe them down with a washcloth after the assist? They might still have some sticky residue on them. I just use warm water and then towel dry before placing back under the heat. You do want to work somewhat quickly so they don't get cold.
1f642.png
I didn't wipe them down! I was in such a hurry because after helping them, both were shivering. I will go try that right now. Thank you for the advice! I was starting to get worried..

@laurel
Hey I'm sorry about you chicken too. I wish I could say it gets easier when that happens but for some of us that's a lie.

So sorry about your hen
hugs.gif

You've got a lot on your plate for sure! Wow do I know what you mean about the toys. All the different ones they can accumulate as they grow is unreal. I've found the same problem with their outgrown clothes. I have bags and totes full of them. Come to think of it- I have quite a bit of my own that I've outgrown lol. But "maybe I'll fit in that again someday"
1f606.png
I don't even think "I'll fit into them again someday" anymore. I concluded it was wishful thinking. Was small almost my entire life, then I had my son in my 30's and haven't been able to get back down since. I just pray I don't get bigger....lol

Alright, my malpositioned chick is out and looks great! But as all of this was happening, I didn't realize that a second chick had pipped and her membrane dried out! So I ended up basically doing a c-section on both eggs after they got stuck and "shrink-wrapped" inside.
That was last night. This morning, though, both chicks are still happily running around but neither has dried or fluffed. Should they be fluffed by now? (Around 10 hours later.)

Congrats! Could be stickiness left from the hatch keeping them from looking fluffed up, and high humidity in the bator also keeps them from fluffing up well.
I think with everything I had going on this past week I forgot to post an update on my hatch! I ended up with 8 Splash Marans from the shipped eggs, 2 blue coppers and 1
Mille/calico bantam from my birds
1f642.png
No assists needed this time! Everyone did great on their own!

I had a very rough day Saturday. As some of you know, I was treating our almost 40 year old pony for pneumonia and she collapsed Saturday
1f61e.png
We had the vet out and since she was fighting we did everything we could to give her a chance. The vet was here almost 3 1/2 hours and after IV fluids, ultrasound, meds and getting her back on her feet we were all exhausted but hopeful. Unfortunately, she went down a couple of hours later and the vet had to return and we weren't able to do anything more for her. Her body was shutting down. So that was a difficult goodbye.

On a better note, our prolapsed Cochin seems to be getting better day by day. Poor thing had the flies get to her while in isolation and she had maggots starting to attack the skin under the vent but we caught it early and they have not returned. I have the light off in her area now which seems to be keeping the flies away. The prolapse is still not staying in all day but it's much much smaller and the tissue is healthy so we will keep working on it.
fl.gif

And last but not least, I have a few eggs on day 12
1f642.png
hugs.gif
Sorry about the pony. I can't even imagine.

I think with everything I had going on this past week I forgot to post an update on my hatch! I ended up with 8 Splash Marans from the shipped eggs, 2 blue coppers and 1
Mille/calico bantam from my birds
1f642.png
No assists needed this time! Everyone did great on their own!

I had a very rough day Saturday. As some of you know, I was treating our almost 40 year old pony for pneumonia and she collapsed Saturday
1f61e.png
We had the vet out and since she was fighting we did everything we could to give her a chance. The vet was here almost 3 1/2 hours and after IV fluids, ultrasound, meds and getting her back on her feet we were all exhausted but hopeful. Unfortunately, she went down a couple of hours later and the vet had to return and we weren't able to do anything more for her. Her body was shutting down. So that was a difficult goodbye.

On a better note, our prolapsed Cochin seems to be getting better day by day. Poor thing had the flies get to her while in isolation and she had maggots starting to attack the skin under the vent but we caught it early and they have not returned. I have the light off in her area now which seems to be keeping the flies away. The prolapse is still not staying in all day but it's much much smaller and the tissue is healthy so we will keep working on it. :fl

And last but not least, I have a few eggs on day 12
1f642.png

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know losing our pets feels like we have lost a part of our family. I'm glad to hear your chicken is on the mend though. Yay day 12.. :)

I didn't wipe them down! I was in such a hurry because after helping them, both were shivering. I will go try that right now. Thank you for the advice! I was starting to get worried..

I take mine out and dry them under the heat lamp. I like my humidity really high and that prevents them from drying off properly. :)

Thank you. We all kind of view our animals differently and some folks would have culled the hen on day 1 but if it's s treatable problem I always try.

I know lots of people consider culling the answer but for us that's always a last resort. We only do that if they are suffering and have no chance at getting better..

:weee They're here they're here!!! 9 of the tiniest little feathered babies I've ever seen!! Beautiful little quail!!! They popped out like popcorn!! Thank you for all the help and suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom