Hands on hatching and help

K

Just thought id share a pic of the first one. She is so cute.. :love
Now if the others would just pip already. They are driving me mad lol :fl

Congrats and good luck

Last edited:
I know that feeling....lol Congrats! Head under left wing is #3 maleposition. You can. There's so little attaching it that if it hasn't come off you can snip it off. I do not see that as shrink wrapped. The membrane looks dry and really thick, but it's not pulling down and tightened around the chick. I don't usually see membrane that thick, or as thick as it looks from the pics in my hatches. I can share a couple pics of my own couple instances of shrink wrapped.
OK thank you! I keep seeing that in my hatches and wondered if that was shrink wrapped or not! Yours look much tighter than the other pics and now I'm for sure that I've had at least 2 but it was under a broody in way cooler weather and she wouldn't go out to the pool so I'm fairly positive it was lack of humidity that caused it?! Or am I way off!? Loo soo much to learn!

And here's how a broody does it. :yiipchick
I got a quick peek at the little one, and pulled the egg shell. Saw a couple more external pips under her. :)

my broody did that my first hatch under a broody! That's when I found this site!! Thank god! But is that normal for them to do? Mine picked until the shell was bloody!

Hey can someone tell me how long it should usually take from the first internal pip to the external pip? I don't want to help out to soon but I'm worried maybe I should make a safety hole?
Generally, somewhere within 24 hours, some cases a little longer. I don't get too freaked until it's been over 24 hours.

OK thank you! I keep seeing that in my hatches and wondered if that was shrink wrapped or not! Yours look much tighter than the other pics and now I'm for sure that I've had at least 2 but it was under a broody in way cooler weather and she wouldn't go out to the pool so I'm fairly positive it was lack of humidity that caused it?! Or am I way off!? Loo soo much to learn!
Shrink wrap can be low humidity during the incubation period, or an extended period of the exposed membrane being exposed to dry air flow over it.

The hen doesn't do it, the chick does it.
xs 2

I'd be worried if the hen was excessively pecking at the hatching chick. Neither of the broodies I watched hatch out, pecked at the eggs, they kept them under them and let them hatch out on their own. The point of the pic, I believe, was how clean and "blood free" the shell is because broodies don't mess, they let the chick hatch when it's ready which makes for a clean hatch.

Generally, somewhere within 24 hours, some cases a little longer. I don't get too freaked until it's been over 24 hours.

Shrink wrap can be low humidity during the incubation period, or an extended period of the exposed membrane being exposed to dry air flow over it.

xs 2

I'd be worried if the hen was excessively pecking at the hatching chick. Neither of the broodies I watched hatch out, pecked at the eggs, they kept them under them and let them hatch out on their own.  The point of the pic, I believe, was how clean and "blood free" the shell is because broodies don't mess, they let the chick hatch when it's ready which makes for a clean hatch.

It's been 12 hours. So a little soon yet. I did end up making a safety hole the size of a pin head. Hope that doesn't mess things up. When I candled last it looked like it was panting hard so I got worried and made the hole.. :(

Found another empty egg under my broody and hear chirping, but didn't see them. It's a bit chilly outside, so I'll wait till it warms up some before I try and peek under her further. Candled a few eggs under my other 2 broodies last night. One is about day 18, and a couple look a little behind, but some look great. Second broody may have gotten a couple of clears, but only day 7, so I'll give them a few more days.
I've got 2 more broodies too. My dilemma is that we are going away for awhile week, starting July 16th and both are due that week!! What should I do? Or what would you do? ;)
@RubyNala97 Thanks for the hygrometer rec! I wasn't even sure where to start on those. (Especially since I was hoping my own hen would raise these eggs and the incubator was back up. REALLY GLAD I bought the 'back up' now.) [rule] As of 11:30 last night, 5/7 have hatched. All but the very first one have had attached umbilical cords still, but most of them snapped off on their own as they came out of the eggshells. When I moved #5 to the brooder this morning (about 5 am, it's closer to 6 now), I found that one of the two remaining eggs had apparently been knocked completely upside down in the night and started screeching up a storm as soon as I turned on the kitchen light. I'm nearly positive the two remaining eggs didn't do their external pips until early yesterday afternoon, so we could still have quite a bit of time to go, yes? The one that had been knocked upside down, though, was the one that pipped into the edge of its internal membrane and caused a little bit of bleeding. I could see it struggling some this morning and there was a lot of dried membrane and a little dried blood right around the pip hole. I opened the hole up just a bit further into the air cell and moistened the edges of its membranes with antibiotic ointment (the pain-free stuff I already keep on hand for the big flock). I think it might zip sometime in the next couple of hours. It's been pretty active this morning in the shell. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the last to hatch, and probably not until this evening. I widened its pip hole a little bit this morning, too, just because I couldn't see where its beak was anymore and wanted to make sure it hadn't positioned funkily if it had been knocked around in the night. It's chirping lightly from inside the egg, but not acting like its in a rush to do anything. Now my main dilemma is deciding if I go out for the day excursion we had planned with my mother-in-law. Because we'll be two hours away from home for most of the day. When we planned the excursion 2+ weeks ago, I didn't know chickies were going to be so late. *sigh*
If you go they will probably both hatch while you're gone. If you stay they will not hatch until after you would have been home! :gig
I candled last night and 3 more chicks had internal pips. No external ones this morning. Should I make a safety hole?
I wait till a minimum of 24 hours up to 36 hours to make safety holes.
I would feel so much better if they would just pip externally. 2 out of 4 have internal pips. I thought it was 3 but not so sure now. That last one is close though. The little baby that hatched seems to be having a bit of trouble with its breathing. It's really active but seems to pant a bit and I thought I heard a crackle sound. Praying that I'm just exhausted.. :(
Pay attention to that. I've had that, it's not fun. Try holding him in your hand, with his head/beak pointing to the floor and scratch/rub the back of his neck with your finger to see if you can get any fluid up. Usually if it's bad they are not active so that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom