Hands on hatching and help

What is your temp at and how long has this baby been externally pipped?
Temp is at 101. Chick has been pipped since roughly 5 pm yesterday. Roughly 19 hours or so. I know to wait it out at least 24 hours if the baby seems okay,..but my problem is that my gut it telling me the chick is declining. I had one of its brothers/sisters pip upside down on the wrong end on day 20 that got all the way to zip and then couldn't get out because there was no room,...it was a very tiny small end. I assisted and the chick hatched out. Afterwards, that particular chick had what looked like omphalitis and curved in feet that she couldn't walk on. I separated her and gave it a day to see what would happen and miraculously the chick got better and her feet were straight. Now I'm just worried something bad is happening to this one.

Temp is at 101. Chick has been pipped since roughly 5 pm yesterday. Roughly 19 hours or so. I know to wait it out at least 24 hours if the baby seems okay,..but my problem is that my gut it telling me the chick is declining. I had one of its brothers/sisters pip upside down on the wrong end on day 20 that got all the way to zip and then couldn't get out because there was no room,...it was a very tiny small end. I assisted and the chick hatched out. Afterwards, that particular chick had what looked like omphalitis and curved in feet that she couldn't walk on. I separated her and gave it a day to see what would happen and miraculously the chick got better and her feet were straight. Now I'm just worried something bad is happening to this one.

I can't tell you what to do because I'm not there so I can't see what's going on for myself. If you feel like it's time to assist I would very gently peel away the outer shell from where it pipped all the way around the egg in a zip formation. Then I would move the outer membrane be sure you don't tear the inner one. That can happen if they get stuck together. Once the outer membrane is removed in the zip line formation then put a light coating of vaseline on the membrane. Be sure not to put it where the beak is or it can get in their nose. After that put it back in the incubator for a bit to see if it can now zip with the shell being gone..

Well here's some fun news. I went in there to check on the egg again and lo and behold the baby was hatched out and flopping around. That quick. But,...here's the kicker....I have two of the DIS eggs still in the incubator,..just in case ones....since one was darker and I couldn't see in it well,...and the other I was just on the fence about because I swear I thought I saw blood vessels still. Well,...I checked the blood vessel-ish one and I swear I saw movement. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me,..it was that subtle. I decided to stick it back in and let it go a bit longer (today is day 22)....as I was putting it in I felt a crack on the underside of the egg in the middle. I turned it over and it looks like someone dropped the egg,...looks nothing like a pip hole. I freaked out a little bit,...I knew I didn't drop the egg. Well,...I took a chance and peeled back just a tad of the shell to see the membrane,...lo and behold there was a beak,..barely protruding and puncturing a blood vessel and bleeding. I stopped the bleeding and stretched the membrane, ever so slightly, so that the little beak could get air and I made sure to not stretch it over any live vessels. I put the baby back in there wrapped in a warm paper towel and am hoping for the best. It's beak looks stuck in an open position. This hatch is giving me anxiety, lol.

Well here's some fun news. I went in there to check on the egg again and lo and behold the baby was hatched out and flopping around. That quick. But,...here's the kicker....I have two of the DIS eggs still in the incubator,..just in case ones....since one was darker and I couldn't see in it well,...and the other I was just on the fence about because I swear I thought I saw blood vessels still. Well,...I checked the blood vessel-ish one and I swear I saw movement. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me,..it was that subtle. I decided to stick it back in and let it go a bit longer (today is day 22)....as I was putting it in I felt a crack on the underside of the egg in the middle. I turned it over and it looks like someone dropped the egg,...looks nothing like a pip hole. I freaked out a little bit,...I knew I didn't drop the egg. Well,...I took a chance and peeled back just a tad of the shell to see the membrane,...lo and behold there was a beak,..barely protruding and puncturing a blood vessel and bleeding. I stopped the bleeding and stretched the membrane, ever so slightly, so that the little beak could get air and I made sure to not stretch it over any live vessels. I put the baby back in there wrapped in a warm paper towel and am hoping for the best. It's beak looks stuck in an open position. This hatch is giving me anxiety, lol.

It can take, i've heard up to day 25 to hatch sometimes. It's best to assume they are late if you can. I leave them in for a few days unless I'm absolutely sure. No veins or I open the air cell and it looks mushy etc.. good luck. :)

@RubyNala97 @AmyLynn2374
Hey guys. My little silkies feathers look strange coming in. I've never had silkies so it may be normal. They are 2 weeks old and the feathers coming in don't look like fluff. Is this normal?

@AmyLynn2374
Here are the pics. Thanks. :)

Did the malpo hatch? Sounds like he might have needed a bit of help getting out. Good job finding the pip and clearing the beak. He's a little fighter!

@AmyLynn2374
Here are the pics. Thanks. :)

Totally normal. :) what cuties! Is the light one a buff?

Back
Top Bottom