Hands on hatching and help

Did the malpo hatch? Sounds like he might have needed a bit of help getting out. Good job finding the pip and clearing the beak. He's a little fighter!
Totally normal. :) what cuties! Is the light one a buff?

Thanks and yes the light one is a buff. She is the one I assisted. She has struggled on and off but she is a survivor! I didn't think she would make it but she has so much personality!! :)

Did the malpo hatch? Sounds like he might have needed a bit of help getting out. Good job finding the pip and clearing the beak. He's a little fighter!
Totally normal.
smile.png
what cuties! Is the light one a buff?

Thanks and yes the light one is a buff. She is the one I assisted. She has struggled on and off but she is a survivor! I didn't think she would make it but she has so much personality!!
smile.png
What Ruby said!!! lol

Thanks and yes the light one is a buff. She is the one I assisted. She has struggled on and off but she is a survivor! I didn't think she would make it but she has so much personality!! :)

I'm glad she's doing better now. They have unbelievable will when they hatch. I've seen some real fighters. I like the buffs. When I first decided to hatch chickens and went with silkies there were so many colors to choose from! I started with white and then went with buff. The kids didn't like the buff color and I wanted a color that I could keep more then just one in the same pen for breeding. I ended up falling in love with paint and it allows me to hatch/ keep white and blacks. But I miss my buffs! They were some really pretty silkies. These were my first buff babies...

They were spoiled rotten!!

I'm glad she's doing better now. They have unbelievable will when they hatch. I've seen some real fighters. I like the buffs. When I first decided to hatch chickens and went with silkies there were so many colors to choose from! I started with white and then went with buff. The kids didn't like the buff color and I wanted a color that I could keep more then just one in the same pen for breeding. I ended up falling in love with paint and it allows me to hatch/ keep white and blacks. But I miss my buffs! They were some really pretty silkies. These were my first buff babies...

Oh my goodness they are so precious. I have really fallen in love with my silkies. They just have such big personalities for such little chickens lol. We call ours popcorn chicken because they sprint so fast around the pen they bounce like popcorn haha. Eventually I would love to have more colors. We are keeping them as pets so color mixing isn't so important. I do love the black and white. I also really want porcelain. I just love the color. I love the ones with the turquoise earlobes. I just love the contrast. It's almost like they have earings on lol :) oh and red. I saw some red silkies one time and now 9 want some so bad. Can't find them anywhere though..

Last edited:

I liked your buffs. I wish you still had the splash though. My two blacks are so black that they have the green/blue sheen. So pretty. I think one is a boy and the other maybe a girl. The one that you said maybe a silver partridge (Blooie) I am sure is a boy and the one I asked if it was what considered a partridge I think is a girl. The puffy gray I am pretty sure is a gray. I am positive about one paint being a girl, another one may be, the rest I am still ????? lol If I have time tomorrow I want to get some good individual pics and put them on my fb and then when you have time you can give me your opinions.
wink.png

Oh my goodness they are so precious. I have really fallen in love with my silkies. They just have such big personalities for such little chickens lol. We call ours popcorn chicken because they sprint so fast around the pen they bounce like popcorn haha. Eventually I would love to have more colors. We are keeping them as pets so color mixing isn't so important. I do love the black and white. I also really want porcelain. I just love the color. I love the ones with the turquoise earlobes. I just love the contrast. It's almost like they have earings on lol :) oh and red. I saw some red silkies one time and now 9 want some so bad. Can't find them anywhere though..

I really like the porcelain too!! I actually had porcelain eggs from an amazing breeder in Florida. Unfortunately she is a great breeder but a terrible packer for shipped eggs (the postal system doesn't help either). None hatched. I know someone on byc that has porcelain silkies (I think, she has a bunch of colors) so I can give you her screen name, if you want it for the future but I think you're planning a hatching break! :gig And all silkies, no matter what color, get the turquoise earlobes when they mature. I think that's really cool too.
I liked your buffs. I wish you still had the splash though.  My two blacks are so black that they have the green/blue sheen. So pretty. I think one is a boy and the other maybe a girl.  The one that you said maybe a silver partridge (Blooie) I am sure is a boy and the one I asked if it was what considered a partridge I think is a girl. The puffy gray I am pretty sure is a gray. I am positive about one paint being a girl, another one may be, the rest I am still  ?????  lol  If I have time tomorrow I want to get some good individual pics and put them on my fb and then when you have time you can give me your opinions. ;)

I only had that one splash and he was a beauty. Him & a partridge girl were the only ones that hatched from that breeder in FL, that I was talking about in the reply above. Her silkies are so gorgeous. And yes, my blacks have that sheen in them with the green & purple! The funny thing is (and I really don't want to jinx myself) but out of what I've hatched this year (and kept) I have not hatched a paint boy!! Every paint I've kept has been a girl and almost all of the blacks have been boys. It's almost freaky. I still have two little paints growing out...lets see if they turn into boys now that I announced every single paint has been female! I'm excited to see my two youngest paints grow out. I'll post a pic. And I'd love to see individual pics of yours!!

Not the best shots but you can see the spots.

I really like the porcelain too!! I actually had porcelain eggs from an amazing breeder in Florida. Unfortunately she is a great breeder but a terrible packer for shipped eggs (the postal system doesn't help either). None hatched. I know someone on byc that has porcelain silkies (I think, she has a bunch of colors) so I can give you her screen name, if you want it for the future but I think you're planning a hatching break! :gig And all silkies, no matter what color, get the turquoise earlobes when they mature. I think that's really cool too.
I only had that one splash and he was a beauty. Him & a partridge girl were the only ones that hatched from that breeder in FL, that I was talking about in the reply above. Her silkies are so gorgeous. And yes, my blacks have that sheen in them with the green & purple! The funny thing is (and I really don't want to jinx myself) but out of what I've hatched this year (and kept) I have not hatched a paint boy!! Every paint I've kept has been a girl and almost all of the blacks have been boys. It's almost freaky. I still have two little paints growing out...lets see if they turn into boys now that I announced every single paint has been female! I'm excited to see my two youngest paints grow out. I'll post a pic. And I'd love to see individual pics of yours!!

Not the best shots but you can see the spots.

I've seen a few without the turquoise earlobes. They were all local though so maybe poor breeding or a mix? I would love to know someone for future purchase of a porcelain. I looked on ebay forever but never found any. I can't purchase any this year but maybe next spring ;). I am all the way in california though so shipping may not work out for me either lol..

Totally normal.
smile.png
what cuties! Is the light one a buff?
No. The baby died shortly thereafter. I believe that with the crack being on the bottom it may have been struggling for oxygen for a while. There was nothing I could do,..there was tons of blood so I couldn't go in yet...after it died I opened and saw that the yolk was nowhere near absorbing yet either so there was really nothing I could have done. :(

Back
Top Bottom