Hands on hatching and help

Seems to be getting fixed right now, although some of the older ones, I still see the code, but new ones, I see the :ya  

:gig  

(ETA - its been driving me nuts for 2 days on every piece of equipment -- phone, tablet, work desktop, etc...)

Ok, thanks girls. I noticead it yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was just something screwy with the iPad app or the iPad itself.

I've noticed it too but thought it was my phone lol

Shut the incubator down and I opened the 2 remaining eggs. I didn't take pics because I was doing it alone and honestly, it wasn't fun and I didn't want to prolong the process.

The outer membrane on the air cell side was white and opaque and dry. I could immediately see that draw down had happened but the chick had not internally pipped - the inner membrane was still intact. It was see-through still, even on the air cell side, although it got moister and even a bit gelatinous as I went further down the egg. It took some effort to open it, but it wasn't tough or dry...just stronger and thicker than I anticipated. All the veins were gone. The chick was in the right position - beak under wing - and head near the lowest dip in the air cell. The yolk sac had not completely absorbed but had definitely begun to/mostly had. It was no longer gooey but the abdomen was sort of distended and yellow where it was.

Why would these chicks not have pipped into the air cell?

Could I have saved the one I opened had I waited longer? Is it possible to save a chick that never pips into the air cell?

Humidity was 45% for the first 18 days except once when the reservoir dried overnight, but room humidity was 35% so it wouldn't have dipped too low. First couple days of lockdown it was only 50% because I mistakenly assumed that if following the directions (filling only one side of reservoir) for the first part worked so well, filling both sides would work, too. Not so. Early Day 20 before anyone pipped I got it up to 70% by adding a small sponge in a dish.

Question I'm in Lovely Florida Hurrican Matthew is on his way.i have 4 eggs due to start hatching tomorrow. What can I do for them if I loose power?

You can wrap the incubator in towels. Also you can use those heating packs they use for shipping chicks inside the incubator to keep it warm.

OK I don't have any of those heating packs..I got my eggs locally.. but I will do the towels. And of course there will be a candle or two since they are in my bathroom

Shut the incubator down and I opened the 2 remaining eggs. I didn't take pics because I was doing it alone and honestly, it wasn't fun and I didn't want to prolong the process. The outer membrane on the air cell side was white and opaque and dry. I could immediately see that draw down had happened but the chick had not internally pipped - the inner membrane was still intact. It was see-through still, even on the air cell side, although it got moister and even a bit gelatinous as I went further down the egg. It took some effort to open it, but it wasn't tough or dry...just stronger and thicker than I anticipated. All the veins were gone. The chick was in the right position - beak under wing - and head near the lowest dip in the air cell. The yolk sac had not completely absorbed but had definitely begun to/mostly had. It was no longer gooey but the abdomen was sort of distended and yellow where it was. Why would these chicks not have pipped into the air cell? Could I have saved the one I opened had I waited longer? Is it possible to save a chick that never pips into the air cell? Humidity was 45% for the first 18 days except once when the reservoir dried overnight, but room humidity was 35% so it wouldn't have dipped too low. First couple days of lockdown it was only 50% because I mistakenly assumed that if following the directions (filling only one side of reservoir) for the first part worked so well, filling both sides would work, too. Not so. Early Day 20 before anyone pipped I got it up to 70% by adding a small sponge in a dish.
Anything is possible, but the probability is low in successfully aiding a chick that doesn't at least make it to internal pip. Remind me again, what kind of eggs these were? Ameraucana? Do you know how to monitor air cells during incubation? You had the humidity up for pip, that's the important thing.
Yolk sac was about this absorbed (pic from assisted hatching thread):
Was there still yolk out or the stomach was just distended? It's not unusual to have distended bellies if the chick just finished absorbing the yolk prior to hatch.
OK I don't have any of those heating packs..I got my eggs locally.. but I will do the towels. And of course there will be a candle or two since they are in my bathroom
If you have a way to boil/warm water you can also add jars of hot water before toweling the incubator. Just remember at hatch, the little guys need fresh air so don't keep the vents closed off for hatch.

Anything is possible, but the probability is low in successfully aiding a chick that doesn't at least make it to internal pip. Remind me again, what kind of eggs these were? Ameraucana? Do you know how to monitor air cells during incubation? You had the humidity up for pip, that's the important thing.
Was there still yolk out or the stomach was just distended? It's not unusual to have distended bellies if the chick just finished absorbing the yolk prior to hatch.
If you have a way to boil/warm water you can also add jars of hot water before toweling the incubator. Just remember at hatch, the little guys need fresh air so don't keep the vents closed off for hatch.

Yes I will have a way to boil water great idea thank you

Yes, this is our first hatch. I'm tempted to try again right away as we were really hoping to come away with 2 pullets, and with only 2 chicks our odds aren't good...but I also kind of need a break. That was stressful! Not to mention it's hard to even find hatching eggs this time of year.

I'm glad to hear that yours that are late with the "wave" motion usually don't hatch. Makes me feel like maybe I couldn't have saved the one that died anyway. I'm calling it on the other 2 at the end of today if I don't see an internal pip and will open them up. 

Would 50% humidity during lockdown cause shrink-wrapping? That's the only thing that wasn't textbook with incubation...I know that on late Day 18 until early Day 20 humidity was only 50%. We got it up before anyone pipped.

If there were no pips then 50% should be fine. I've actually lockdown late (by accident) a couple times and there were several internal pips and a couple external pips and humidity was at 40%. They all hatched fine.

Turns out the humidity has been 20% higher than what my incubator has been showing
somad.gif
I now have it set right but what do I do for the eggs that were affected by the high humidity? I put some in 12 days ago not knowing about the humidity. Should I dry it out in there?

How do the air cells look? What works for people humidity wise varies greatly, so it's really just a number. The important thing is to keep an eye on the air cell growth. If they look really small then I would run dry-ish for a few days till they catch up. If they look good then just keep monitoring them.

Remember that hatch of a dozen Calls I did that most pipped and zipped on their own? It was that batch... I waited and went in to do the safe holes after they had been internal pipped for over a day, but a couple already had external pips... I proceeded to make safe holes in all the rest, went back to check a little later and ones with safe holes were external pipping... they all external pipped, and after the regular wait time then they zipped... the ones that external pipped before the safe holes hatched same as the ones with... they all hatched within a few hours of each other and in random order just like regular hatches...
Oh, I wasn't saying you wrote it, lol... just making a comment from my experience... like I said to Ruby, they hatched the same along with the others with no discernable differences is all...

I'll have to dig, but I think I took some pics from that hatch...

Yes, I remember. It's very interesting point you bring up. I'm thinking that Amy's guess sounds pretty good. Someone should study it. LOL!

Thank you both for the recommendation. (Hi Blooie! Our 2 lone chicks are loving the MHP!) 

I've been hesitant to go with shipped eggs as my incubator's so small and I know there's a lower hatch rate, although after this experience with local eggs, maybe I'd do better with shipped!

We also live in an urban area and have a super small flock, so I'm being really picky about breed. If Ruby or anyone else on here is a good source for Ameraucanas or Wellsummers, let me know! I'm trying to add some pretty colors to our egg basket!

Only silkies here!! :)

Ok, thanks girls. I noticead it yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was just something screwy with the iPad app or the iPad itself.

X2

Shut the incubator down and I opened the 2 remaining eggs. I didn't take pics because I was doing it alone and honestly, it wasn't fun and I didn't want to prolong the process.

The outer membrane on the air cell side was white and opaque and dry. I could immediately see that draw down had happened but the chick had not internally pipped - the inner membrane was still intact. It was see-through still, even on the air cell side, although it got moister and even a bit gelatinous as I went further down the egg. It took some effort to open it, but it wasn't tough or dry...just stronger and thicker than I anticipated. All the veins were gone. The chick was in the right position - beak under wing - and head near the lowest dip in the air cell. The yolk sac had not completely absorbed but had definitely begun to/mostly had. It was no longer gooey but the abdomen was sort of distended and yellow where it was.

Why would these chicks not have pipped into the air cell? 

Could I have saved the one I opened had I waited longer? Is it possible to save a chick that never pips into the air cell? 

Humidity was 45% for the first 18 days except once when the reservoir dried overnight, but room humidity was 35% so it wouldn't have dipped too low. First couple days of lockdown it was only 50% because I mistakenly assumed that if following the directions (filling only one side of reservoir) for the first part worked so well, filling both sides would work, too. Not so. Early Day 20 before anyone pipped I got it up to 70% by adding a small sponge in a dish.

I can't tell you how many times I've opened eggs and find perfectly formed and position chicks that did not pip. (Mostly with shipped). Sometimes it's impossible to know why. Also since you bought the eggs you don't know to much about the parents. Their age, their nutrition, their DNA. Don't beat yourself up. I will say that I do not think you would have been able to save that chick since it did not take the biggest step by internally pipping. Just keep trying and you will be a pro at hatching in no time. Also do you have a separate hygrometer and thermometer that are calibrated to check against the mini to make sure the temps and humidity are accurate?

Question I'm in Lovely Florida Hurrican Matthew is on his way.i have 4 eggs due to start hatching tomorrow. What can I do for them if I loose power?

Can you get a car plug charger thing? Sorry, I forgot what they are called but that's what I bought.

So I have to tell you guys a crazy story that happened this evening! I live on the end of a dirt road. The dirt road connects to a main road that gets a good amount of traffic in the evenings. Then there's a suburban development across the main road with lots of streets and houses. I went on a walk with my almost 2 year old to let him get some energy out, no stroller just holding his hand. When we got across the main road I saw a flock of ducks fly over our heads. I was really, really hoping they were mallards but then I saw my favorite little white/tan one. It was our call ducks! They were following us! I didn't see them land because there is a little hill and then just a row of houses. I picked up the baby and start calling the ducks. I followed their quacks. They landed in 2 seperate back yards, 2 on one side of a chain link fence and 2 on the other. Both yards fully fenced in. One house I know has a big dog. I was so worried they would get attacked or hit by a car. I just acted. I trespassed and opened the fence, went into one backyard and picked up 2 ducks in one arm, carried the 2 year old in the other arm. I walked all the way back home locked the 2 up and had to go all the way back and do the same with the other 2 (1 duck stayed home) and my older kids are at their dads so I had to take the baby with me. Thank god no one saw me, or let their dog out and thankfully none of us got hit by a car. I can't believe they did this!! They will sometimes start to follow us down the road but I chase them back. This time I thought we had snuck away and they didn't know. It was just crazy!!

Back
Top Bottom