Hands on hatching and help

20210308_193932.jpg
Thank you all for the encouragement! The little one made it out safely 🥰

I read the article on assisting in hatching for tips. Thank you! I have twin silkies set to hatch March 26. I’m assuming one will be in the air cell and one won’t. Can you offer any advice on how when or what to do in assisting these two... assuming the make it to their hatch date. As of today, 10 days out, they are both still alive and moving!

I read the article on assisting in hatching for tips. Thank you! I have twin silkies set to hatch March 26. I’m assuming one will be in the air cell and one won’t. Can you offer any advice on how when or what to do in assisting these two... assuming the make it to their hatch date. As of today, 10 days out, they are both still alive and moving!
Double yolk egg?
Now on day 11?
Am guessing you won't need to know as they won't live much longer.
Sorry, but it's very very rare for double yolk eggs to actually go full term and hatch.

Double yolk egg?
Now on day 11?
Am guessing you won't need to know as they won't live much longer.
Sorry, but it's very very rare for double yolk eggs to actually go full term and hatch.
Yes day 11 and yes double, both alive an moving as of yesterday. I’m aware they may not survive but looking for advice incase one or both make it to hatching day

Back again. We partially assisted this black chick (LF, unknown breed) in the hatch. It was pipped on the wrong end for nearly 48hrs with no movement besides the first pip. First, (after about 24-32hrs) I opened the air cell side slightly and saw it hadn’t absorbed all the yolk so it went back in to hang out and give time. After another 12-18hrs or more this morning it still had not made any progress. Still chirping, but ha some brown crusty coming out from around the pip area. And some brown ooze from near the small air cell end. I thought it may have been pecked by a sibling (all silkies) because it was fine for 12hrs or so after I opened the end for inspection.

Below is current status, has dried out mostly, has yet to open eyes, moved and chirps occasionally but not near active like the others... going to maybe give a drip or two of honeywater when I get home.
Interested to hear others thoughts, and maybe how to help on the getting eyes open.

Attachments

• A162E469-8875-4375-A0B7-72815EBE2316.jpeg
    A162E469-8875-4375-A0B7-72815EBE2316.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 3
going to maybe give a drip or two of honeywater when I get home.
Be very careful with this.

Interested to hear others thoughts, and maybe how to help on the getting eyes open.
I've had a chick with it's eyes 'gunked' shut, wiped with warm water on cotton ball repeatedly to get gunk gone. But it was up and moving a day or two old.

Is the abdomen closed?

Be very careful with this.

I've had a chick with it's eyes 'gunked' shut, wiped with warm water on cotton ball repeatedly to get gunk gone. But it was up and moving a day or two old.

Is the abdomen closed?
I just got his mouth a little wet with water that was on my damp finger (from dipping into water).
Abdomen is closed, however there’s some red/scabbing I think.

Attachments

• C1677B77-E485-41DD-A624-1843F0CAA57E.jpeg
    C1677B77-E485-41DD-A624-1843F0CAA57E.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 2
After a quick rinse this afternoon. Vent is clear, but above the vent to the right in this photo you can see part of a goopy mess that I think is part scab. Seems to be doing well. Rather feisty when I had another chick in there with her, and of course very noisy when alone.

Attachments

• 766277AC-9C44-4214-8E9D-F505383A01A7.jpeg
    766277AC-9C44-4214-8E9D-F505383A01A7.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom