Hanging Bird Scarer

demekidis

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
fethiye, Turkey
Hello. My isolated backyard ladies got coccidiosis for the second time.
I suspect that they've got infected by the sparrows that visit the coop daily.

Has anyone used a hanging (moving) bird scarer to keep the wild birds away?

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, I had to look that up as I knew sparrows and other wild birds carry lice and mites but didn't know they could actually spread coccidiosis in their droppings.

We used a moving/talking owl once to keep birds out of our garden. It didn't work. Yours might work but once they get used to it, they'll just ignore it. Maybe if you moved it around every few days.

We got rid of the sparrows by changing all of the wild bird feeders to solely black oil sunflower seeds. There is a farmer across the road with a barn full of them. They don't come here anymore even though we've got stuff out for the chickens, like fermented feed. I think our cats help too.

Last edited:
Coccidiosis isn't spread as much by birds but it lives in the soil. It's always there and preys on weak immune systems. A bird scarer won't work long-term but keeping the feed out of sight will.

Birds come for the feed, get a treadle feeder. Wild birds are prey species that draw in other predators that threaten your chickens too. Plus the disease and pests you have already experienced. You pay for a treadle feeder even if you don't buy one.

Anytime you need a tool you are already paying for it from wasted time, spoiled materials, or a poorer quality output due to the missing tool. In this case, the cost is already being paid by stolen feed and increased disease and having to spend time trying to solve the problem. So you are already paying a cost, just as well get what you need if you can afford it and end the useless expense of stolen feed.

Back
Top Bottom