Ultrasound machines to keep wild bird out of coop

Jmml219

Chirping
Jul 11, 2020
My coop and run are being overrun by wild birds on a daily basis. Everyday I chase 10-20 out. Has anyone tried the ultrasonic sound machines advertised to keep the birds away? I would try them but I’m afraid of hurting my chickens with the sound waves. Has anyone had any luck with the shiny spinners or the devices that are motion activated where the glowing red eyes come on when a bird flies by. If I place them high in the rafters they shouldn’t scare the chickens. I’ve also read of folks throwing a big net over the coop which I like but won’t work for us because we have a huge coop & run. Help y’all!

Last edited by a moderator:
My coop and run are being overrun by wild birds on a daily basis. Everyday I chase 10-20 little bastards out. Has anyone tried the ultrasonic sound machines advertised to keep the birds away? I would try them but I’m afraid of hurting my chickens with the sound waves. Has anyone had any luck with the shiny spinners or the devices that are motion activated where the glowing red eyes come on when a bird flies by. If I place them high in the rafters they shouldn’t scare the chickens. I’ve also read of folks throwing a big net over the coop which I like but won’t work for us because we have a huge coop & run. Help y’all!
1/2 inch hardware cloth.. WORKS.

And may be worth it long term. Feed ain't cheap, parasite & viral transfer.. etc..

Those "little bastards" are just coming to the open buffet, who can blame them.. we all wan't the easy life and especially a free meal!

Some folks who deal more with them resort to feeding 2 or 3 times per day as opposed to leaving the feeder open/full all the time. Are they inside your coop too?

Treadle feeder or even some other (no mess) styles might work to deter them a bit better.. what's your current set up look like, maybe a pic will be useful fro suggestions? Even when I collect feeders and such.. I found some pests (rats and even my dogs) still come looking for the "shrapnel" left behind.

My personal experience with ultrasonic device.. was ineffective against the main culprits for which purchased.. ant's and roaches in my prior case.. Still correlates..

https://www.nachi.org/ultrasonic-pest-repellers.htm

This was good write up that includes some considerations (from a manufacturer with an adjustable frequency range)..

https://bird-x.com/blog/ultrasonic-deterrent/

If it effects ducks I have to presume it effects chickens equally. Also note that it's efficacy if any may be limited to short term results as noted due habituation.

Posting fake owls near by did NOT deter them/anything.. maybe if it's a bobble head AND you move it continually to new locations.

Don't expect red eyes to work.. as what might fool a mammal in the dark is less likely to fool a bird in broad daylight. I might think about an automated (motion detecting) sprinkler (pointed up from the ground along the plain of the wall or down from the roof as opposed to outwards).. but think there are probably better ways.

I personally hate that cheap "bird netting".. many birds got caught and died. Also it deteriorated rapidly (in the elements even being VERY moderate here) becoming an ingestion danger to my birds.. sometimes even wrapping a string around a leg, toe, etc.. maybe better quality netting or better installation would have netted different results.. but I share these details (and links) so hopefully you can make a better informed choice.

I used to feed in the run only (to avoid rats in the coop which was a pole barn), now I feed in the coop only (as it is WAY rodent resistant). I did have some song birds when feeding in the run.. but it wasn't enclosed so my cats and dogs.. also chased away the song birds but so did some of the more territorial chickens. There are so many factors that effect our different experiences! Oh and never mind keeping the dogs outta the chicken feed.. lol.. no free rides!

Free loaders have made me crazy in times past. I do hope you get some good ideas and report back about what works for you! :fl

The poster above nailed the answer. Stop feeding the wild birds and they will leave. Get a proper treadle feeder and watch the negative reviews for wild birds or mice getting inside. Easy to give a five star review if you aren't dealing with rats or sparrows but the proof of the value of the feeder is if it stops feed theft where the customer has vermin infestation.

Back
Top Bottom