Improving existing fence to keep bobcat out of chicken yard

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
I currently have a 4 foot fence surrounding my chicken coop. it’s 176 linear feet. My chickens were allowed access out of that areaUntil I recently lost three birds in the last week.These of course were not just birds. They were my pets, and I loved them dearly. I now have only six birds left. I assumed it was hawks, so we really reinforced the overhead area with fishing line, netting, etc..Unless I was out there with them, I kept them in this “safe” area. The canopy of the trees in the enclosure really obscure the vision of this area from above but I guess it wasn’t enough. Today we discovered the culprit was a bobcat. I know this for a fact .So I’m desperate to protect my chickens without confining them to their coop (Which is very secure, and I think I actually would detour a bobcat at night. At night we also turn on the electric fence which runs parallel to the shorter 4 foot fence. We have wires at about 5 inches 19 inches and 3 feet. I know this keeps the raccoons etc. out but I doubt a bobcat would be impressed. So the reason I’m writing as I was wondering if anyone thought it would work if I pounded 10 foot stakes along the 4 ft fence line and connected three strings of barbed wireAround the perimeter. This would make a 10 foot barrier. It’s all I can think of short of having a 10 foot fence installed. It’s not a project we could do ourselves and I think the cost would be astronomical. I appreciate any input whether you think this would keep the cat out. Or any new ideas would be appreciated. A shotgun might be an option but the bobcat is so fast I doubt we could pull that off. I don’t like to think of killing, wild animals, but I don’t want my whole flock to be wiped out either. I’ll try to enclose a picture of the existing fenceWhich is not that sturdy, but was enough to keep the chickens contained. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Attachments

• F33F4894-66DB-420E-9830-77ED7FC7344A.jpeg
    F33F4894-66DB-420E-9830-77ED7FC7344A.jpeg
    993.9 KB · Views: 218
I currently have a 4 foot fence surrounding my chicken coop. it’s 176 linear feet. My chickens were allowed access out of that areaUntil I recently lost three birds in the last week.These of course were not just birds. They were my pets, and I loved them dearly. I now have only six birds left. I assumed it was hawks, so we really reinforced the overhead area with fishing line, netting, etc..Unless I was out there with them, I kept them in this “safe” area. The canopy of the trees in the enclosure really obscure the vision of this area from above but I guess it wasn’t enough. Today we discovered the culprit was a bobcat. I know this for a fact .So I’m desperate to protect my chickens without confining them to their coop (Which is very secure, and I think I actually would detour a bobcat at night. At night we also turn on the electric fence which runs parallel to the shorter 4 foot fence. We have wires at about 5 inches 19 inches and 3 feet. I know this keeps the raccoons etc. out but I doubt a bobcat would be impressed. So the reason I’m writing as I was wondering if anyone thought it would work if I pounded 10 foot stakes along the 4 ft fence line and connected three strings of barbed wireAround the perimeter. This would make a 10 foot barrier. It’s all I can think of short of having a 10 foot fence installed. It’s not a project we could do ourselves and I think the cost would be astronomical. I appreciate any input whether you think this would keep the cat out. Or any new ideas would be appreciated. A shotgun might be an option but the bobcat is so fast I doubt we could pull that off. I don’t like to think of killing, wild animals, but I don’t want my whole flock to be wiped out either. I’ll try to enclose a picture of the existing fenceWhich is not that sturdy, but was enough to keep the chickens contained. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.
I’m not sure, but I guess it’s climbing over it? Or jumping? Bobcats jump extremely high, what if you wrapped barbed wire around the top so it couldn’t climb? Or somehow make the fence a lot taller? The average jumping height for a bob cat is 10ft, I know.. crazy! 😮 I think that’s a great idea, if it’s not too much of a cost. We usually find free wood off marketplace, free chicken wire, pallets, etc.

A ten foot post will have to be at least 12 feet long to allow for the two foot drive into the ground. A bobcat can still clear that. They typical bobcat can jump 12 feet. You need an enclosed run to really stop on from jumping in along with a deep predator apron tostó one from digging. Once a bobcat has found a food source, they will continue coming back to it until there is no longer food available. As much as you don’t want to close up your chickens in the coop, that’s the safest option. If the bobcat can’t get into the coop, he will possibly move on. Call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commision (FWC) office and ask for guidance. They may be willing to trap or give you options as to what can be done.

One more thing to consider. A bobcat will usually stalk a chicken coop or any other type of pen with animals. That means they will usually walk around checking the place out. You might consider putting a strand or electric fence outside your current fence they the cat would probably touch as he first approaches your fence. If you don’t want it up all the time, you could use a quick fence disconnect that you just Rea lease to pull the electric fence wire back. The fence would give him a pretty could shock that would cause him to go find something else to do besides messing with your chickens. It would also deter foxes, raccoons, and coyotes.

I’m not sure, but I guess it’s climbing over it? Or jumping? Bobcats jump extremely high, what if you wrapped barbed wire around the top so it couldn’t climb? Or somehow make the fence a lot taller? The average jumping height for a bob cat is 10ft, I know.. crazy! 😮 I think that’s a great idea, if it’s not too much of a cost. We usually find free wood off marketplace, free chicken wire, pallets, etc.
Thank !

One more thing to consider. A bobcat will usually stalk a chicken coop or any other type of pen with animals. That means they will usually walk around checking the place out. You might consider putting a strand or electric fence outside your current fence they the cat would probably touch as he first approaches your fence. If you don’t want it up all the time, you could use a quick fence disconnect that you just Rea lease to pull the electric fence wire back. The fence would give him a pretty could shock that would cause him to go find something else to do besides messing with your chickens. It would also deter foxes, raccoons, and coyotes.
I do have three strands of electric wire running the perimeter of that metal fence. I guessed 6 inches, 15 inches and then 3 feet. We do turn it on every night after the chickens are locked up.our bobcats been coming during the day and I could certainly keep the fence on however, I didn’t think they were that cautious. I.e. I thought he just see the chickens and jump that short fence,Missing the wire. his three previous attacks occurred outside of that short fenced area. Until I figure something else out like a higher fence or additional height with barbed wire I’ll keep that electric fence on if you think it would help during the day. Thank you for the input.

i’ve got a bobcat here we’re i am too. So far, i lock everyone away unless i’m outside with them. I have geese and chickens. I also got the premier 1 electric fencing, the very tall antiwildlife fence one. It’s taller than me and i’m 5’4”. that said my chickens easily jump it. so if they’re out of their mobile chicken run and into the fenced area, i’m outside.

i actually came here to ask you where’s you get that pretty metal fence? because my geese are eating the wood exterior of my house. well, my toulouse is a sweety, but my emden will cross electric fencing to eat the house.

i’ve got a bobcat here we’re i am too. So far, i lock everyone away unless i’m outside with them. I have geese and chickens. I also got the premier 1 electric fencing, the very tall antiwildlife fence one. It’s taller than me and i’m 5’4”. that said my chickens easily jump it. so if they’re out of their mobile chicken run and into the fenced area, i’m outside.

i actually came here to ask you where’s you get that pretty metal fence? because my geese are eating the wood exterior of my house. well, my toulouse is a sweety, but my emden will cross electric fencing to

i actually came here to ask you where’s you get that pretty metal fence? because my geese are eating the wood exterior of my house. well, my toulouse is a sweety, but my emden will cross electric fencing to eat the house.

Back
Top Bottom